Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bell 206 MR Trans Filler Cap

tamboril

Are you just the owner or are you a pilot or mechanic?

If you are neither, then you should not be trying to open the transmission oil filler cap. In addition if you overfill the transmission it will blow out the excess oil and possibly damage the oil seals. If you can shake the transmission by grabbing the mast and move the mast and transmission from side to side and see any oil in the visor then it has enough. This is caused by some of the oil draining back to the freewheeling unit when the helicopter is static.

Thanks for your reply, GregJ.  I'll try again with the pushing and turning.  Just want to be able to add oil if I ever find I need to.

You're right, though.  It is actually on the dot right after shutdown.  It just got out of an annual; so I didn't expect it to be low.

Everyone else rest assured I've given your comments all the attention they deserve.

Tamboril, take a 206 field maintenance course or something. The dot or just below is where you want it. If that’s the happy spot then You’re good. The TR gearbox and Hydraulic reservoir will be your next thing. Let someone else service it till you know what you’re doing.

• Like 3

Some good replies here...I would get rid of that zip tie asap ...those things get brittle when exposed to heat and oil...it definitely doesn't meet Bell M&M requirements I can tell you and that hose has seen better days...you are also suppose to have clamps on that hose that attach to the trany mount. Of course nobody does....it will eventually saw a hole thru your cowling...just saying...and definitely rock the trany when checking the oil level...if you are even a little bit off level you will not be getting a correct indication of the oil level. Too much is worse than a little low..I saw a 206 trany spew oil out once from being too full...passengers notified the pilot that oil was running down the rear right window. Now the one about overfilling the hydraulic res was a good one...you can't overfill that one but don't put trany oil in the hydraulic system..DOOH!