Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bell 206 MR Trans Filler Cap

tamboril

Thank you, DGP.  I'd not considered rocking the transmission.  It makes a lot of sense, as it can be at any random angle when checking. The instructor may have gone over that in the initial training for the 206, but I don't think so.  Thanks to the contributors above, I won't attempt to add any oil to the transmission unless I just can't get any to show in the sight glass, when hot, and while rocking if necessary.  Based on five years with it, I don't expect to.

That's great advice about the hose, too.  I'm going to see whether I can procure replacement parts (to give to the A&P) for that hose. It is pretty old.

Just to put wrap it up, I gather everyone agrees that pushing on the small "button" and turning CCW is the answer I was looking for.  I did try pushing, pulling, and turning both ways, but there doesn't seem to be any purchase.  It just turns and turns without any loosening.  By the way, I do have the IPB and all the maintenance manuals, and checked there first. There is no special procedure given.

56 minutes ago, tamboril said:

Thank you, DGP.  I'd not considered rocking the transmission.  It makes a lot of sense, as it can be at any random angle when checking. The instructor may have gone over that in the initial training for the 206, but I don't think so.  Thanks to the contributors above, I won't attempt to add any oil to the transmission unless I just can't get any to show in the sight glass, when hot, and while rocking if necessary.  Based on five years with it, I don't expect to.

That's great advice about the hose, too.  I'm going to see whether I can procure replacement parts (to give to the A&P) for that hose. It is pretty old.

Just to put wrap it up, I gather everyone agrees that pushing on the small "button" and turning CCW is the answer I was looking for.  I did try pushing, pulling, and turning both ways, but there doesn't seem to be any purchase.  It just turns and turns without any loosening.  By the way, I do have the IPB and all the maintenance manuals, and checked there first. There is no special procedure given.

The “small button” is the vent,  if you push and turn that too much it will come off.  
Push down hard on the cap below button and turn CCW,  sometimes they need a tap when pushing down.  

• Like 1

Hey Tamboril,

I'm happy that you are getting some positive feedback here, sometimes this forum tends to lean toward the negative side.  It looks like you have had some great responses from some professionals who are very competent at what they maintain and/or in what they fly. (I know a couple of them very well)

Below are maybe a few more things I can add to the conversation.

You may want to consider replacing the packing on the cap. I have found that sometimes an older packing can swell a little and cause a tighter fit, making it even harder to push down and turn. Once you have the cap off, or after installing a new packing you may also want to spread a drop or two of the transmission oil on the outside of the packing (where it sits against the housing) to ensure it is lightly lubricated.

As for as the zip ties, clamps, etc. It is always well worth the very small investment in replacing with new or serviceable parts. 

Little and inexpensive issues lead to larger and more expensive issues.

It is always a good idea to rock the transmission when looking at your oil level. Take this opportunity as well to listen for abnormalities such as clicking, squeaking or other strange sounds or feelings coming from your transmission mounting system.

I would suggest finding an experienced 206 A&P (or AME in Canada) to go over a detailed DI with you every now and again at a minimum. The minnimal cost of an hour of their time will save you 10 fold in issues going unnoticed. You can also feel a lot more confident in your DI's with some recurrent training. 

As always, just my opinions.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

JJ.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jljohnston79 said:

Hey Tamboril,

I'm happy that you are getting some positive feedback here, sometimes this forum tends to lean toward the negative side.  It looks like you have had some great responses from some professionals who are very competent at what they maintain and/or in what they fly. (I know a couple of them very well)

You may want to consider replacing the packing on the cap. I have found that sometimes an older packing can swell a little and cause a tighter fit, making it even harder to push down and turn. Once you have the cap off, or after installing a new packing you may also want to spread a drop or two of the transmission oil on the outside of the packing (where it sits against the housing) to ensure it is lightly lubricated.

As for as the zip ties, clamps, etc. It is always well worth the very small investment in replacing with new or serviceable parts. 

It is always a good idea to rock the transmission when looking at your oil level. Take this opportunity as well to listen for abnormalities such as clicking, squeaking or other strange sounds or feelings coming from your transmission mounting system.

I would suggest finding an experienced 206 A&P (or AME in Canada) to go over a detailed DI with you every now and again at a minimum. The minnimal cost of an hour of their time will save you 10 fold in issues going unnoticed. You can also feel a lot more confident in your DI's with some recurrent training. 

Hope this helps. Cheers.

JJ.

Good friendly advice as always jj. Been a while, send me a Whatsapp 

2 hours ago, jljohnston79 said:

Hey Tamboril,

Hope this helps. Cheers.

JJ.

Great advice.  Thank you.  I went out there this evening and made sure I could remove the filler cap.  It just needed a lot of force down and a turn of the base about 1/4 turn CCW.

As mentioned rocking the trany mount can tell you if the a-frame mount bearings are good or bad as well as the isolation mount under the trany...have seen many of these go bad..and watch the knuckles on those mast studs...lots of skin left on many of those..Hah!

• 3 weeks later...

FYI:  206 trans oil level,

I had a machine once that the sight glass would keep filling up and after telling an engineer about the problem

he was yelling "NO WAY! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!" so we drained it below the dot and sure enough after a test flight the sight glass

was again full on level ground. Engine oil down too. Now we were "both" convinced.

As it turned out, the problem was a bad seal in the freewheel unit that allowed oil to transfer from the engine to the transmission.