Setting yourself up as a company

After 40 years I have been out of the business for a couple of years, but come on here occasionally to see what is happening.  

I ran into no end of grief trying to set up a company for myself - WCB in BC being the biggest problem - and ended up being a sole proprietorship.  This was not accepted by many operators as I believe they had issues with the tax man as to what constituted a contractor and ended up having to pay the "contractor's" tax share if he/she didn't pay taxes owed after revenue canada deemed "the contractor" was actually simply an employee.  But I digress.

My actual question is, "as a contractor, (meaning in effect a company) can you be held liable to the hiring company for damage caused by you ...... blade strike, cooking an engine due to negligence or neglect, or even something so simple as pickling or damaging a water bucket?

6 hours ago, Maury said:

After 40 years I have been out of the business for a couple of years, but come on here occasionally to see what is happening.  

I ran into no end of grief trying to set up a company for myself - WCB in BC being the biggest problem - and ended up being a sole proprietorship.  This was not accepted by many operators as I believe they had issues with the tax man as to what constituted a contractor and ended up having to pay the "contractor's" tax share if he/she didn't pay taxes owed after revenue canada deemed "the contractor" was actually simply an employee.  But I digress.

My actual question is, "as a contractor, (meaning in effect a company) can you be held liable to the hiring company for damage caused by you ...... blade strike, cooking an engine due to negligence or neglect, or even something so simple as pickling or damaging a water bucket?

On the maintenance side, the maintenance release is carried out under the company ACA #, so the company insurance covers issues. I would imagine if you've had your PPC with the company, it would be the same.