Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Moving for a Job

I just talked with a guy who said a certain company in Northern Alberta had a stipulation that if you wanted a job with them you would have to move there. Then said company laid the majority off. Some of the guys signed leases for the year. It's a wonder why they are constantly advertising for guys. Caveat Emptor my young pilot friends. If you are going to make a major move get in writing some guarantees. Bad year granted but hopefully lesson learned. 

One of best pieces of advice I was given 30 years ago when I first broke into the industry was. NEVER move anywhere in this industry for a job, EVER. That advice has proved invaluable over the years. Contracts come and go, talk is cheap and there are plenty of hollow promises out there. I've personally been asked to move 5 times. In each of those instances. The work ended within months of being asked to move. 

My response these days is "If I wanted to live there, I would already be doing so".

Bottom line IMO: this industry is far too volatile to move anywhere for a job.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Diaper_Pin said:

One of best pieces of advice I was given 30 years ago when I first broke into the industry was. NEVER move anywhere in this industry for a job, EVER. That advice has proved invaluable over the years. Contracts come and go, talk is cheap and there are plenty of hollow promises out there. I've personally been asked to move 5 times. In each of those instances. The work ended within months of being asked to move. 

My response these days is "If I wanted to live there, I would already be doing so".

Bottom line IMO: this industry is far too volatile to move anywhere for a job.

You nailed it Diaper pin. Though I'm sure Rainbow Lake is nice this time of year.

Rainbow Lake is nice year round!  

DP is absolutely right.  What a load of sh!t.  Everyone one knows that there are no agreements that will hold water when it favours employers.  Don’t move for them.  They’ll let you go as soon they feel they have to and say something stupid like “we’re running a business”.  We are all running businesses; every household is a business. I have learnt that the hard way over the years with lots of empty promises and lies.  At this stage in my career (20 years now), if i was told something like that I wouldn’t walk, I’d run.  

I understand that this has been a bad year and people are desperate (?) but that seems like extortion to me...

• Like 2