Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I just talked with a guy who said a certain company in Northern Alberta had a stipulation that if you wanted a job with them you would have to move there. Then said company laid the majority off. Some of the guys signed leases for the year. It's a wonder why they are constantly advertising for guys. Caveat Emptor my young pilot friends. If you are going to make a major move get in writing some guarantees. Bad year granted but hopefully lesson learned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GrayHorizons said:

this could apply to any company at the moment across the country.

What. They all want you to move to northern Alberta? Kidding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, old said:

What. They all want you to move to northern Alberta? Kidding

C'mon.  Why wouldn't you?  High Level is the new Thompson.   

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, GrayHorizons said:

this could apply to any company at the moment across the country.

Just a heads up if you do,  get something in writing even if it's just moving costs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Amphibious said:

C'mon.  Why wouldn't you?  High Level is the new Thompson.   

Ahahahahaha... Hahahaha.

 

Well in Thompson there IS a liquor store, a Tim's and a Boston Pizza...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of best pieces of advice I was given 30 years ago when I first broke into the industry was. NEVER move anywhere in this industry for a job, EVER. That advice has proved invaluable over the years. Contracts come and go, talk is cheap and there are plenty of hollow promises out there. I've personally been asked to move 5 times. In each of those instances. The work ended within months of being asked to move. 

My response these days is "If I wanted to live there, I would already be doing so".

Bottom line IMO: this industry is far too volatile to move anywhere for a job.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Diaper_Pin said:

One of best pieces of advice I was given 30 years ago when I first broke into the industry was. NEVER move anywhere in this industry for a job, EVER. That advice has proved invaluable over the years. Contracts come and go, talk is cheap and there are plenty of hollow promises out there. I've personally been asked to move 5 times. In each of those instances. The work ended within months of being asked to move. 

My response these days is "If I wanted to live there, I would already be doing so".

Bottom line IMO: this industry is far too volatile to move anywhere for a job.

You nailed it Diaper pin. Though I'm sure Rainbow Lake is nice this time of year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rainbow Lake is nice year round!  
 

DP is absolutely right.  What a load of sh!t.  Everyone one knows that there are no agreements that will hold water when it favours employers.  Don’t move for them.  They’ll let you go as soon they feel they have to and say something stupid like “we’re running a business”.  We are all running businesses; every household is a business. I have learnt that the hard way over the years with lots of empty promises and lies.  At this stage in my career (20 years now), if i was told something like that I wouldn’t walk, I’d run.  
 

I understand that this has been a bad year and people are desperate (?) but that seems like extortion to me...

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...