Moving for a Job

Diaper Pin is right! I’ve been asked to move a few times over the years and all of the companies are no longer in business. 
Even if you do get certain things in writing, good luck collecting if things go south which they most often do.....eventually!! I personally don’t know of a single person in my 23 years of flying that is still with the same company that they moved for. Unfortunately, it just doesn’t happen in our crazy industry! 

40 years in this industry and I agree with the "don't move for a Company" I never did myself, but I also understand that for young pilots (starting their career) this could be their only chance to get a start in this industry. Not many companies will pay  flight tickets for a 100hr pilot to come and do 3 week tours to help in the hangar and do ground runs once in a while. It sure a lot easier to move around when in your 20's than in your 40"s or 50's.

CT

• Like 2

3 hours ago, crosstube said:

40 years in this industry and I agree with the "don't move for a Company" I never did myself, but I also understand that for young pilots (starting their career) this could be their only chance to get a start in this industry. Not many companies will pay  flight tickets for a 100hr pilot to come and do 3 week tours to help in the hangar and do ground runs once in a while. It sure a lot easier to move around when in your 20's than in your 40"s or 50's.

CT

Totally agree...but with over 45 yrs in I usually worked with guys that were from all over Canada. Few of us had a helicopter company in the town that we grew up in...though I know a few that did. I also know a few guys that started up their own companies after getting a few hundred hours out in the real world. This doesn't happen very often and usually will take a lot of cash which most of us don't or didn't have as a low timer...I only did two big moves and they were 20 years apart.

Not everyone looks at it the same way. As a low time pilot I offered to move to small town Alberta and it completely set up my career. After that if there was value in what was being offered, then I would consider the move. I still would today. I moved to and lived in Africa for a couple years and it was so worth it! I turned others down such as Vancouver that didn't seem suitable for me. It's all in what you want.

1 hour ago, FlyBell1 said:

Not everyone looks at it the same way. As a low time pilot I offered to move to small town Alberta and it completely set up my career. After that if there was value in what was being offered, then I would consider the move. I still would today. I moved to and lived in Africa for a couple years and it was so worth it! I turned others down such as Vancouver that didn't seem suitable for me. It's all in what you want.

There's a huge difference in what you're talking about than an established pilot moving to fort Unamit. **** if I had the chance to do a gig in Africa I would take it too. Try to follow the narrative. But in case I'm wrong apparently there will be a company in Fort Mac that could use your services when things improve as the word is out for the guys who follow the rule of fool me twice.

5 hours ago, Tee4 said:

Jeez shakey for someone who hates foreign workers you're pretty keen to steal a local's job in Africa. 

Hahaha. Touche. Im guessing there isn't as many African nationals with experience being passed up Like what's been going on with the bottom feeders in this country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And I don't hate Foriegn workers per say just voice my opinion that for the most part they have been unnecessary and exploited by the usual suspect companies. But yeah I should have known better now that the pay is higher, tours more fair and work so abundant thanks to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2