Bell 206b

Hello there,

While keeping a shop open and harrassing companies around here, I'm studying the 206 flight manuel and here's a question :

Give me 2 reasons why you can't use the 100% torque for 5mn to save time on your ETA ?

I know it's a 'take-off' setting and the maxi continuous is 85% but any other reason ?

I'm also looking for diagrams about the fuel system and the hydraulic

that's all for now :up:

happy landings

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not an engineer, but i beleive it has to do with mast bending under high torque and high airspeed

any clarifications out there ??

another reason is the amount of fuel required for that extra couple of knots is not worth it

don't forget, that helicopter is strapped to your a*s, treat it kindly :shock:

strapped to my a** ??? I don't use the seat belt that way :rolleyes: and I'm not only kind, I'm tender :D

Speaking about fuel, I don't have a chart 'fuel vs torque ' in my manuel...did I forget something in the copy machine ?

What do you guys use for inflight calculation ? pnd/mn, gal/mn...? is the torque important ?

####, I see your point but my questions are just theoricals. I just don't like the way flight manuels are writing : I'm still a 10 years old boy always asking "why?". And for me it's always easier to remenber something if I know the reason. Amazing the things I learned from accidents reports : this kind of explainations are perfect for me.

Reason number one: your maintenance staff would beat the crap out of you once they found out you were flying the A/C like an idiot.

Reason number two: This is going to sound real mean, but if you have to ask that kind of question, maybe you should stay away from helicopters altogether!

Reason number one: your maintenance staff would beat the crap out of you once they found out you were flying the A/C like an idiot.

Reason number two: This is going to sound real mean, but if you have to ask that kind of question, maybe you should stay away from helicopters altogether!

you really should add some smilies, because if it's your way to answer theoricals questions, you didn't help me on this one :D

With my flight manual a few question (from a PPC I guess) are included. So I try to answer them and understand the "why". So I know the numbers but I just want to understand the reasons of those number.

Does it means this kind of questions are for AME only, the pilots just fly by the book without asking question ? I hope no.

So I still need a second reason for not using the 5 mn/100% torque ( and "it's writting like this in the FM", is NOT a valid answer I'm afraid :D )

You will find that your future chief pilot may welll believe that a flight manual limitation may well be a very valid reason not to pull 100% in cruise and if I were you I would not spend a lot of time arguing the point.

Well, for one thing the increase in Airspeed from 80% to 100 will be only a few Knots. Due to the airframe parasite drag. The amount of time saved will not be earthshaking and customers don't like seeing things in yellow arcs or at red lines for extended periods of time.

You may also be exceeding VNE limitations.

Depending on location you may also be into ITT or N1 limits.

Fuel consumption will rise.

And reason 1: Listen Carefully:

YOU Are paid by the hour, not the mile!

And reason 1: Listen Carefully:

YOU Are paid by the hour, not the mile

Don't say this to a low timer like me :P

Seriously, saying that it's writing like this in the FM is a good answer for an eventuel CP ?? I like that ! So for stupid questions like mine I'd better go to speak with an AME ? Do I look dangerous asking this kind of questions and arguing the answers ?

Nick ----- you answers are many. Something called "retreating blade stall" is a factor. Also, many of the limits you mention are related to the limits of the transmission of the a/c, as are a lot of the same types of limitations on other Bell products.......many, if not all are transmission limited. Otherwise, you would have to pull 120% torgue on a 206 to make the engine reach it's limits, as far as torque is concerned.......but you'd then be waaaaay past the limits of the transmission and other units in the drive-train. Other reasons come into play with other models and "the Tuck" is another factor. The roof or upper deck of the fuselage on many other models (Hueys for example) is also a wide flat surface and when the angle against the passing air becomes just the right angle, it becomes a flight surface that does certain dangerous things. Therfore, there are also limits on the take-off torque-settings and speeds for that reason also. Exceed those and in doing so, present that upper deck at just the right angle and you don't go up.......you go down. In doing so, you naturally pull back on the controls to stay at least level, if not continue to climb. The stick finally reaches a point up against your belly-button and you can't pull back any further........but she still going down..... and quickly because you pulled gobs of power........unless you REDUCE that power. If you began that big power surge close to the ground, then the toes of your skids dig in, you say "SH*T" and then do it. :D