Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ame Newbie Questions

Vince

Hello, everyone, I am new to the board, and have been researching the possibility of becoming an AME. I've read through most posts, however I still have some question, and I was hoping you all could help me out please.

1. From what I understand there are three categories (M)-maintenance, (S)-structures, and (E)-avionics? Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

2. Is there more demand for people with the category M license or the category E license?

3. Is it possible to hold two different licenses say M and E? If possible how would you go about doing this and which license would you obtain first?

4. I've read many posts on this board and seen abbreviations such as, M1 and M2 what do these classifications mean?

5. How long does it take to obtain the different category licenses? I'm under the impression that schools such as BCIT will credit you 18 months towards the required 48 by TC. Does this mean that at the end of the remaining 30 months if all has gone well you will have obtained final certification and proper license?

I have read all sorts of posts regarding the lifestyle, fact I'll probably get divorced and be poor etc, so is there anything else you think I should consider or do you have any advice before I take my final decision as to becoming an AME?

Thanks

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay in school and get a real job, like go to university.

I have gone down the aviation road too far to turn back

If you like the outdoors, fixin things, and of course flying

maybe aviation is for you.

Kiss your social life goodbye.

As for money expect to not make much until you are licenced.

If you are still interested you should vist some operators and

maintenance facility's and talk to the people there, see the

working conditions and see the wages you could expect to make.

Fudnuf

Don’t do it, run away as fast as you can. To-day there are many more opportunities than when I got into this line of work. AME’s get NO respect, Poor pay, shift work, forced unpaid overtime at some places (like Air Canada). You will work the midnight shift at most airlines for most of your career, even the “dayshift” starts at 5:00am. You will be blinded by skydrol, loose your hearing over the years and hurt your back at least a couple of times lifting things, freeze your *** in the winter and cook and get eaten by mosquitoes in the summer on the ramp.

On the up side you do get to play with some very heavy metal and unlike the pilots you get to use all the different aircraft type simulators.

If you like jet engines that much, go fix them for a pipeline company, the pay is probably as good and should one blow up because you screwed up, you won’t have 50- 450 passengers families and crew suing you for every penny you worked your whole life for.

Me? Retired AME, I’d be a computer tech if I did it again. ;)

I was trying to be nice

Run ,run as fast as you can

Get into somthing that will not kill you

Weather it's fast or slow

If you like fixin stuff try a Millwright

Oil and gas industry allways is looking for guys

Better money than Aviation

Fudnuf

I'd go with Skudkid on this.

I tried Aviation after qualifying in Industrial Controls and didn't like it, for the lack of respect we got regardless of the work required to get licensed.

Luckily the skills I gained got me a job working on Industrial Gas Turbines and so far I'm enjoying it. Granted you work for that too, spending a lot of time away from home, but you get paid well.

So, if you have an interest in aviation, concentrate on the Turbine aspect, at least that way you ve other industries to jump to.

Don’t do it, run away as fast as you can. To-day there are many more opportunities than when I got into this line of work. AME’s get NO respect, Poor pay, shift work, forced unpaid overtime at some places (like Air Canada). You will work the midnight shift at most airlines for most of your career, even the “dayshift” starts at 5:00am. You will be blinded by skydrol, loose your hearing over the years and hurt your back at least a couple of times lifting things, freeze your *** in the winter and cook and get eaten by mosquitoes in the summer on the ramp.

On the up side you do get to play with some very heavy metal and unlike the pilots you get to use all the different aircraft type simulators.

If you like jet engines that much, go fix them for a pipeline company, the pay is probably as good and should one blow up because you screwed up, you won’t have 50- 450 passengers families and crew suing you for every penny you worked your whole life for.

By your post skud I presume You have spent your time an airline job

I have spent the last 30+ years in the helicopter industry.

Yes I have frozen my butt off in winter ops

Yes I have been eaten alive by bugs

Yes I have had no respect by some pilots, but have had great respect from others

BUT I HAVE NEVER WORKED UNPAID OVERTIME.

P.S. I would do it agaain in a heart beat

Spent 18 years in IT. It was ok the first few years. Made good coin, interesting work, etc. etc. But the call of the air finally caught up with me and I'm paying the price now. Spent my life savings on training and now I'm racking up debt as I try to get work flying. <_<

Know what ? I wouldn't change a thing ! :up:

All right, thanks to those who finally had something positive to say, that's what I like to hear. To those who said I should go to college/university and get a real job before doing this, well I'm sorry I don't feel the same. I've completed two years of a BBA degree and quite frankly university/business isn't my thing. I like mechanics and am not about to continue studying, and wasting money to end up at a desk job I won't like. I've heard many say that you don't get respect, I’m sure that in other professions respect isn't easily had either; you have to earn it. I'm going to go ahead with my plan I know I'll make an awesome AME and even if the pay isn't great at least I'll be doing something I enjoy.