Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ame Newbie Questions

Vince

I could have become a doctor, but then again that doctorate could have me shoving my fingers up 65 year old pricks ***** all day long....thanks but I'll spend my time making an aviation carreer what I want it to be, and that's enjoyable.

Mags,

I'm with you. Started in the maintenance side and then went flying - 28 years in the rotary side. Wouldn't change a thing.

I wonder what the salary, working conditions and DEBT LOADs, are like for a first year doctor?? :shock: :shock:

There are some that won't be happy anywhere, and the grass always looks better across the road. B)

I've worked with a lot of good people who enjoy what they do, are good at what they do, and have the respect of the peers because of who they are. Those are the ones that make this industry what it is, not the whiners. :up:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vince, if you get discouraged by the few negatives of the job, then you might not enjoy it. In my opinion the positives far outweigh the negatives. If it is so awful, the nay sayers wouldn't even hang around an aviation forum. Personally I am in helicopters and if I had to get out, I don't know what I would do. You get opportunities to go places and see things that most people never get to. Be careful though, once you're hooked it becomes a way of life.

Vince, don’t say later that I didn’t try to warn you! Seems your mind is made up. Well M1 and M2, basically small airplanes and big airplanes. I would go with the “M” lic as once endorsed on type you can sign the maintenance release on the whole aircraft including the “E” and the “S” work. The AME M will often have many other workers working on the aircraft and he will be the one responsible for the maintenance releases. Demand for both M and E license comes and goes but like I said, the M can sign the avionic work, lets say autopilot, but the E can’t sign, lets say flight controls.

By holding an M and an E would give you the option of applying for an E or an M licensed job but I’ve yet to hear of anyone being paid for having both licenses, and I know a couple of guys.

Different schools accredit different amounts of qualifying time towards you being able to write. (Transport puts a list out about once a year of all the schools and what counts from each school). One very important thing, GET A LOG BOOK, and get it signed as soon as the work is completed, otherwise it gets forgotten. Most AME’s are willing to sign the log books for guys, just do it right away.

While working for Air Canada I owned my own AMO (approved maintenance organization) and approved parts distributorship, we specialized in avionic work mostly, but had some small planes we leased to a flying school and we were their AMO. Anyway I’ve had newly licensed guys come and offer to work for free just to be working in the industry and be gaining experience. I’m saying times can be tough, there are some lean years. Good luck to you I’m sure you’ll have fun I know I did, I just meant there are more choices now that pay as good with a lot less responsibility.

B)

End of the day Vince,

You could try it and if you don't like it, do something else and at least you tried, or you could not do anything and always wonder.

You seem to haveyour mind made up and I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do. Just research it all and try and keep your options open. There are a lot of companies that take guys with aerospace experience because Typically their work tends to be of a high standard (from what I've seen!).

I'm not sure where this "no respect" thing comes from but the only time I've gotten no respect was from a few pilots that thought I was there to clean their windows. That is easily fixed with a swift kick in the ***!!

Otherwise, maintenance engineers get nothing but respect as far as I can remember. When someone asks me what I do for a living, their response is always one of surprise and excitment, "oh wow!! that's so cool, that must be so exciting etc......"

Try and get the same reaction if you're an accountant, IT tech, or any other "university educated" profession. I'm not saying to get into aviation because people think it's cool, I'm saying get into aviation because once you're in, you'll get hooked, you only need to spend two years in college to get a job that will eventually pay between $60k to $100K a year, you'll get to work on multi million dollar equipment, you'll get the chance to travel all over the world, you'll never be out of work unless you're an imbecile, etc, etc......

I could go on forever but basically, I wouldn't trade this for anyting else in the world!

P.S., The above rant only applies to helicopters, not fixed wing. (I'd stay away from fixed wing like to plague if I were you!!)

P.P.S. The best colleges for rotary wing apprentices are (in my opinion) Northern Lights in Dawson Creek and Canadore College in Norh Bay respectively.

Guest graunch1

I agree with Mag and Co. I have been beating on a/c for 41 years. there have been bad times where you wonder what in **** you are doing in the biz but mainly it has been a buzz.

I guess those of us who have been around since the 60s have been lucky in that you could do all sorts of tasks that today are restricted to AMOs.

FWIW I have worked on fast-movers, large turbo props, corp jets, airline-sized a/c (never with an airline), lots of helis and far too may fart-carts (GA). I have also travelled courtesy of someone else's $$$ to NA,SA,Asia,the Carribbean,way up north and loads of other interesting places.

I wouldn't trade it for anything because the number one reason for staying in the business is that I have never, ever, ever, been bored or felt I knew it all. The career is what you make it and today there are loads of interesting companies and places to work :)

Vince

As you can see alot of AME's and A&P's (US version) can give you advise until we're blue in face, the only answer that counts is your own.

go to the thread titled "WHY FLY" read it then ask yourself the same questions.

whatdaya think fella's, looks like it's time to start "Why Fix" to help people like Vince here.

:up:

• 2 weeks later...

If you wanna do it- go ahead! It can get under your skin. I still love it after 19 years, never regretted it. BTW, I have an E and an M. Get the E first is my advice, since at this point in time you can take the correspondence course ffom ICS and have it count as basic training. So if you luck into the right job, you can work as an E and build experience as an M at the same time. Keep in mind that helicopters will put you out in the bush somewhere, airlines will give you shift work, and GA doesn't necessarily pay as much as it should. You can have a social life, but it is tough unless you work weekdays, which is normally restricted to heavy maintenance outfits, or GA work. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

get the "M" license if you want to work on the whole aircraft, if ya wanna pull wire and repair avionics do the "E", if ya wanna do only sheetmetal work do the "s" license. You'l find you'l do lotsa electrical troubleshooting sheet metal with your "M"license.

avoid BCIT, i went there.....most of my teachers were useless and a couple were real pricks. I've heard good things about Northen Lights, especially if you are going for helicopters