Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ame Newbie Questions

Vince

Guest Billy Tucker

Helidude,

We have lots of windows for you to clean on the "cube" after you have been assimilated.

All you fixed wing engineeroids should take note also. CHC has moved into your sector. We are now operating Twotters, Dash 8's and 737's.

You will all be assimilated.

Resistance is futile.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Helidude,

We have lots of windows for you to clean on the "cube" after you have been assimilated.

All you fixed wing engineeroids should take note also.  CHC has moved into your sector.  We are now operating Twotters, Dash 8's and 737's. 

Resistance is futile.

You will ALL become one................with the Borg.

• 2 months later...
I would go with the “M” lic as once endorsed on type you can sign the maintenance release on the whole aircraft including the “E” and the “S” work. The AME M will often have many other workers working on the aircraft and he will be the one responsible for the maintenance releases. B)

I hope this doesn't lead anyone to think that they can use an "M" licence to sign off a new avionics installation or a structual repair. These jobs must first be signed off by someone holding the appropriate licence ( "E" or "S"), and THEN an "M" licencenced individual can sign off the entire aircraft. It's all spelled out clearly in the CAR's (Canadian Aviation Regulations)

:D

ive been in the industry for around 4 years now and wouldnt change a thing, there are always the whiners out there just like anywhere. There are always pricks out there just like any industry, but 95% of the people ive met in this industry are good people. As for working for free DONT do that if someone tells you they will hire you if you work for free tell them to F#$K OFF and go somewhere else. If you really want a job you will get one somewhere. Plan on around 25,000$ salary you first year and a bit, mabye $30,000 or so your second year, plus some flight pay depending where you are, when your licensed depending where you are and how much you work you should be making between 50-100,000. My 2 Cents

• 1 year later...
P.S., The above rant only applies to helicopters, not fixed wing. (I'd stay away from fixed wing like to plague if I were you!!)

Never in a million years did I think I'd be askin' "why?" to a statement like this, but I am. (Will hafta explain later. :))

Why, Helidude? Or anyone else care to take a shot? I know you're all heli junkies, but I'm curious to hear from any AME's who've actually done the f/w side and for whatever reason, prefer the heli side of maintenance and repair.

I am an AME and I do understand where some of the guys are coming from but I will say that compared to most other things you do make farely good money in a reasonable amount of time. Also you will get to go places and see things that most people only dream. One more thing is that Aviation on the rotary side anyway is a relatively small industry and the people in it for the most part are second to none. Now , on the other side of the coin I havent been away from home for a couple of months so ask me at the end of a six week shift. My wife and kids may not necessarily agree with all my statements. If after a few years you can get a two on two off shift it might be alright but remember two weeks away sure feels alot longer than the two weeks at home.

Just my opinion

This is a statement in Transport Canada Airworthiness notice C001 Edition 4 date 18 July 2006.

" Together M1 and M2 ratings include all possible airplane and rotorcraft priviliges. Therefore , AME Licences that are endorsed with M1 and an M2 rating are not eliglble for any further ratings , other than a balloon."

This does not mean that you can do structures and avionics just because you have the rating because you have to be able to prove training and currency, but at least you do not have to apply for the ratings if you so choose to persue the training.

If you have a M1/M2 license you E and S privileges. see CAR566.03(9)

"(9) Additional ratings.

An AME may apply for additional ratings by meeting the requirements specified in 566.03. Credit will be granted for any requirements that were met in qualifying for the currently held ratings.

Information Note:

Individuals who hold both an M1 and M2 rating will not be issued any additional ratings (e.g. E or S ratings), as those privileges are already held within the scope of the combined M1/M2 rating privileges."

Information Note:

Individuals who hold both an M1 and M2 rating will not be issued any additional ratings (e.g. E or S ratings), as those privileges are already held within the scope of the combined M1/M2 rating privileges."

Are there others out there like myself who have the M1 and M2 rating on their license this would apply to, but have never taken a sheet metal or avionics course nor have any previous work experience (other than field repairs) in these areas?

:unsure: M1, M2, E and S ratings, cripes! :lol: I should've known better than to ask a buncha heli fixers why it's better on the heli side than the f/w side. :P Though I'm very sure your information will be helpful to someone here.

*Sigh* Apparently one of my own has jet fuel in his veins; I should be surprised, but I'm not. He wants to fix, not fly. He's a high-school senior, graduates in May, and has his sights set on Colorado Aerotech, at the Jefferson County Airport...one-half classroom, one-half hands-on. He's stoked. Am getting lots of good advice through PMs related to U.S. A & P requirements, benefits/drawbacks of, fixed-wing maintenance and repair career info., etc.,—which we truly appreciate.

Carry on, you wayward sons! :up: (And daughters...oops!)