Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ame Newbie Questions

Vince

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never in a million years did I think I'd be askin' "why?" to a statement like this, but I am. (Will hafta explain later. )

I worked four months on float planes and Navajo's and King Air's and I hated every minute of it!! The fixed wing world is a more structured and regular kind of world wereas the rotary world is the complete opposite. For one thing, you don't have to worry about working for a union in the helicopter world, at least not in mine! Helicopters give you more freedom to choose where, when and for how much you want to work. Helicopter engineers are usually alone on their aircraft, they look after it by them selves. This is very appealing for an anti-social hermit like me! Helicopters will give you the chance to travel and see many things that a nine to five / shift work job won't.

Start out in helicopters if you're still young, spend the next five to ten years travelling and gaining experience and after that, if you still like it, you'll have a career like no other with wich you'll never be bored. If you're sick of the travelling and bush camps, you can always settle down with a fixed wing job. If you have the right personality for aviation, you'll never regret it and it won't be a question of how much more $$$ you could be making doing something else.

Thanks, Helidude. The FIRST thought that crossed my mind was "Ever consider helis instead?" But I learned a long time ago to stay outta the way of a man with a plan, so I bit my tongue. :rolleyes: I am, however, gathering all sorts of this kind of information on his behalf so he is atleast going into it with eyes wide open. I appreciate! All of ya! :)

gas producer,

I have both and would never sign out a major structural repair or avionics repair because I don't have the knowledge to do it. It comes down to understanding your limitations.

This goes without saying, but essentially this note says we have an E and S rating on our licenses, although it's not printed on it. So why would somebody interested in avionics or structures not take the M course and then work for a structures or avionics shop after school? When it comes time to apply for their license write the extra exams and get the M1 and M2 license. Now they have all the ratings rather than just an E or S leaving some options open if they get tired of the sound of rivet guns or pulling wire.

For TQN... :)

Helicopters are Different From Airplanes

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by its nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly.

A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces and controls working in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying, immediately and disastrously. There is no such thing as a gliding helicopter.

That is why being a helicopter pilot is so different from being an airplane pilot, and why, in generality, airplane pilots are open, clear-eyed, buoyant extroverts and helicopter pilots are brooders, introspective anticipators of trouble. They know if something bad has not happened, it is about to.

- - Commentary by Harry Reasoner, February 16, 1971

a) The scope of maintenance release privileges will be indicated by rating designators entered on the licence, as follows:

(i) M1: Non-turbojet aircraft built to CAR 522, 523, 523-VLA, 527, 549 and equivalent standards (includes all airframe, engines, propellers, components, STRUCTURES, and systems of those aircraft), and the aircraft listed in paragraph 566.03(8)(B).

(amended 2003/09/01; previous version)

(ii) M2: All aircraft not included in M1 (excluding balloons) (includes all airframes, engines, propellers, components, STRUCTURES, and systems of those aircraft), and the aircraft listed in paragraph 566.03(8)(B).

(amended 2003/09/01; previous version).

(iii) E: Aircraft electronic systems. (includes communication, pulse, navigation, auto flight, flight path computation, instruments and the electrical elements of other aircraft systems, and any STRUCTURAL work directly associated with the maintenance of those systems);

(iv) S: Aircraft structures. (includes all airframe structures);

(v) Balloons.

(B) Holders of EITHER an M1 or M2 rated AME licence also have maintenance release privileges for ALL:

(amended 2003/09/01; no previous version)

(i) TURBINE POWERED HELICOPTERS; and

(ii) SFAR 41C aeroplanes, including their associated variants and derivatives.

(9) Additional ratings.

An AME may apply for additional ratings by meeting the requirements specified in 566.03. Credit will be granted for any requirements that were met in qualifying for the currently held ratings.

Information Note:

Individuals who hold both an M1 and M2 rating will not be issued any additional ratings (e.g. E or S ratings), as those privileges are already held within the scope of the combined M1/M2 rating privileges.

I highlighted some interesting points.

It looks like M includes structural work wothout having both an M1 and M2.

Also it does not really matter which "M" you have if you want to work on helicopters. (Unless you work on piston helicopters, in which case one would need an M1)

So.........Ms and E are really the only two distinct ratings with reguards to priviliges on what you can sign out on helicopters.

:lol: Thanks, Ray! That totally explains everything!

So this is what I'm hearing: It is wise to not just go for the initial license, but to go the extra distance and write any extra exams available—and pursue any additional ratings possible—in an effort to add diversity to one's skills/abilities, ensuring wider flexibility in career options. :rolleyes: That about the gist of it? :P Makes perfect sense, BTW.

Sonny is currently investigating school options and doin' his own research while awaiting information packets from 2-3 different colleges/tech programs. Then he'll compile a list of questions and talk to each one to determine the best fit. Between work and school, he doesn't have time to glean beneficial nuggets from this Maintenance/Ground Ops Forum, so I'm temporarily aiding and abetting (I really have other things I should be doing! Aaaccckkk!). :lol: But once he gets his wits about him, he may just pop in with some questions of his own.

I am surprised there is no thread here on the TOP 10 (or whatever number) QUESTIONS TO ASK A SCHOOL/COLLEGE for AMEs/AMTs. Hmmm...I'm sure the information is here somewhere; finding it is another thing. I did print out very helpful information related to the most important tools a beginner should have (LOL. I saw a twinkle in his eyes when he read that!) and someone else sent me a list of textbooks to get on as early as possible (thanks bunches!).

You guys and gals are awesome! B)

Never in a million years did I think I'd be askin' "why?" to a statement like this, but I am. (Will hafta explain later. :))

Why, Helidude? Or anyone else care to take a shot? I know you're all heli junkies, but I'm curious to hear from any AME's who've actually done the f/w side and for whatever reason, prefer the heli side of maintenance and repair.

Well I have done both and in my humble opinion if you want to be chained to the hangar or dock go with F/W. Now there are exceptions to this rule camp job's away from base ect.. But your always on the runway and rarely get to see much of any difference in the work. R/W is much more hands on and your on your own most of the time. You can be based virtualy anywhere you blast a pad out of the bush...

Yes you freeze in the winter and fry in the summer bugs will eat you alive and sometimes you get no respect but most of the high timers appreciate you keeping the blades turning.

The money is ok but could always be more...That's with any job the numbers that have been thrown around are about what you should expect.

The more experience you get the more money you can demand if you go contract you can make some serious coin.

As far as no social life that's just Bull Sh#* I'm a R/W AME that has a wife and kid and travel a fair bit and you just have to want to make it work the people that don't and blame aviation are just not into the whole home life..and will use any excuse for their problems.

that's my two cents any of you that disagree any I know your out there feel free to trash away