Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

VMC flight into IMC

Norm

On 10/30/2020 at 11:31 PM, hybrid said:

Flying over glassy water with fog seldom has a positive outcome.......

Bingo.

And these are the type of Pilot Decision Making considerations that can prevent accidents in situations like these. More so than instrument training. I really wonder if the false sense of security provided by Instrument training, Can sometimes lead pilots to be overconfident and into these situations..

MANY of us have several of these PDM considerations listed in our COM, as PDM considerations and training are required for reduced visibility VFR operations, (not instrument training).

56 minutes ago, Freewheel said:

Bingo.

And these are the type of Pilot Decision Making considerations that can prevent accidents in situations like these. More so than instrument training. I really wonder if the false sense of security provided by Instrument training, Can sometimes lead pilots to be overconfident and into these situations..

MANY of us have several of these PDM considerations listed in our COM, as PDM considerations and training are required for reduced visibility VFR operations, (not instrument training).

If there is anything that instrument training thought me , is to avoid this #### like the plague. IFR is for controlled flight ,even in VFR conditions. Inadvertent IMC or intentional flight in IMC in a VFR aircraft or even in an IFR equipped aircraft that was VFR planned is big ,fat No No. Just to be clear, not judging the pilot by any stretch of imagination. I bet he did not plan on ending up in that position,down in the puddle.

• Like 1

Just now, cuban said:

If there is anything that instrument training thought me , is to avoid this #### like the plague. IFR is for controlled flight ,even in VFR conditions. Inadvertent IMC or intentional flight in IMC in a VFR aircraft or even in an IFR equipped aircraft that was VFR planned is big ,fat No No.

I think the intention of IMC training should be to scare the crap out of you and discourage flying close to it. I know when I did the Top Flight simulator in Edmonton I saw how hard it was and guess what? I started flying even more conservatively. 

There’s a reason autopilot is in IFR aircraft...we as humans suck at doing it for long stretches and need assistance to decrease the workload. 

• Like 1

If the reduced vis training doesn't scare the crap out of you.

Remember that the insurance companies only cover you provided you operate the aircraft within the the limitations of the FLT Manual, the CARS Regulations (here in Canada) and the COM.

Correct me if I am wrong but the Flt manual states that the aircraft is for VFR flight use only.

Sorry you are not covered, is not something I want to hear from the insurance company should I ever damage an aircraft.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Toughtimes said:

Obviously you’ve been in this industry for about 7 minutes if you haven’t had a client pressure or try to pressure you into doing something that you shouldn’t, like telling you “well the other pilot got us into that spot so you should be able to”

Then once you get them in. The other guy did it faster. You’re hundred dollar turns(aka recon to pilots) are Killing my budget lol

On occasion, i like to spin it this way: I could likely land there 9 out of 10 times too. Did the other pilot explain what happens the other 10% of the time?

• Thanks 1