Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

How Do You Control Yaw In A Kmax/ Or Kamov

After my sighting of the K-Max earlier this week, it was explained to me that the strange "knife sharpening" sound comes frome the blade ailerons or tabs constantly adjusting pitch. :shock:

My understanding is in th Kamov, yaw is accomplished by reducing torque to one or the other of the counter-rotating rotors, This is done with foot pedals just like in any other helicopter. In the Kaman, this wouldn't work as the rotors are side by side and intermeshed. Reducing pitch on one of the rotors would induce bank to one side or the other. The ailerons are used for this function. Exactly how escapes me though. Where's Canook when we need 'im ? :o

I ve seen Kmax and kamov helicopters both workin fires but im still curious as to how the yaw is controlled on the machines. I would assume it has to do with a pitch change in one set of blades being more to give torque one way or the other

I thought you used those 2 pedals on the floor to control yaw!

An engineer will tell you: Years of math and calculations to predict exactly what the effect of each control with persision.

A Pilot however: When I push the left pedal I go left, and when I push the right pedal..... :)

Depends on what you want to know... the long answer or the simple

Cole B)

I asked a K-Max driver that question. His answer was: " By the time you get the opportunity to fly a K-Max, you've got enough hours under your belt to figure it out on your own..." :D

There is a second seat, but it's bolted to the outside of the aircraft. Good thing the K-Max doesn't fly too fast... :shock:

They used to use a Kaman Husky to do the initial training to fly the K-Max. The Husky was (is?) a medium sized bread-box-with-blades looking thing that has a similar rotor system to a K-Max. It also is a good lifter and is powered by a T53. It was never commercially certified so you won't see one in Canada any time soon.