Junior Pilot Programs

Hello all,

This forum has been great in providing a wealth of information on many topics and I thought I'd finally wade in and would like to get your 2 cents from people within the industry on this particular topic. In my research and discussions with various operators, it's become clear that there's very little opportunity in the form of company training programs to help develop 100 hour pilots towards that 1000 hour goal.  A few Cp's who took the time to speak in-depth with me had lamented the fact that most of the industry still shares the old school view of the 3 to 5 year ground crew grind and the toll it's taken on the sustainability of developing new pilots to 1000 hour plus proficiency. This view was also shared by a high up individual within the HAC, and I'm wondering what the barriers are that are preventing a more industry wide shift towards adopting left seat pilot mentorships.  As far as I know, GSH is one of the few operators that offers something like this. Universal was another one and Highland was looking at creating a program, but sadly both companies no longer exist. Any wisdom or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

3 hours ago, TheReaper2.0 said:

Don’t spend the $40-$60k to get into this garbage industry.  If you wanna take owners and managers cr@p and clean toilets for a few years, go work as a janitor at a high school, you’ll probably even make more money.  Students have this magic number of 1000 hours that I think the instructors in flight school drill into their heads, but it means nothing cuz you look at requirements now and they are all north of 3000 hours.  Getting to 1000 hours just means you’ve got a bunch more years to scrub toilets and be the bit(h in the hangar.  You aren’t really “productive” to a company until your are consistently making them money all year round, and even then you’re still on the chopping block when times get tough.  Take your money and go to school for Medicine or something. Aviation is a dying business don’t waste your time or money.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.  This industry is finished for the foreseeable future.  There’s nothing left but emergency services.

• Like 3

This is not the most charitable industry I’ve found so the likelihood of that scenario happening is really slim. Besides the fact most of the time we don’t need the extra weight, Who will be cleaning the toilets or listening to the engineers bad mouth us overpaid underworked meat sticks if you’re not in the hangar?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, ScottyDont said:

When I read TCs new flight&duty regs, my thought was there will be jobs that will then require two pilots. In certain situations, the second pilot could very well be a low time, to do the simpler flying ie crew changes. 

Lol, everyone is going to get exceptions with their stellar fatigue risk management systems.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, TheReaper2.0 said:

Don’t spend the $40-$60k to get into this garbage industry.  If you wanna take owners and managers cr@p and clean toilets for a few years, go work as a janitor at a high school, you’ll probably even make more money.  Students have this magic number of 1000 hours that I think the instructors in flight school drill into their heads, but it means nothing cuz you look at requirements now and they are all north of 3000 hours.  Getting to 1000 hours just means you’ve got a bunch more years to scrub toilets and be the bit(h in the hangar.  You aren’t really “productive” to a company until your are consistently making them money all year round, and even then you’re still on the chopping block when times get tough.  Take your money and go to school for Medicine or something. Aviation is a dying business don’t waste your time or money.

I love the client requirements... it just means they get a pilot who has flown circles around house fires in a R44 for 2900 hours. I will take a 1000 hour pilot who earned their time in the bush over the the guy who spent 2000+ hours flying the same hour over and over again. The minimum hour requirements are arbitrary and do not directly reflect competence. Good luck convincing the insurers though, they are the real overlords. 

I agree with what TheReaper2.0 says though. If I could do it over again I would have invested the money I spent at the puppy mill and stuck with a trade. Don't bother getting into this toxic industry. 

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, from all the comments in this thread about how awful the industry is and how anything other than helicopters would be a better career choice, what are you guys doing hanging around a helicopter forum?? Why don't you take your own advice and put this career behind you and never think of it again?? 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

After many months of avoiding  this forum I finally had a few beer and decided to take a peek mainly out of pure boredom. I sit here sipping away trying to put into words my feelings towards my career in this industry. I honestly would have a hard time telling a young keen individual to actually pursue a career in helicopters at this current time...and even worse this  terrible state of the industry. For one its a young persons game if you are going to get in.... do it as soon as you can, because as most people have already said you're going to have to put in time and years to get to a place that pays and where you're useful to an organization. Secondly I feel that again in my youth I had way different views and ideas of what I wanted in my career and the priorities in my life. **** its fun when you're young to adventure and work and travel and drink .....just live free have fun and enjoy the ride. Then usually your career eventually takes off ...you get the hours and you're into the game and may be a profitable pilot to some company. LIFES GOOD........Then inevitably you find yourself a woman that is crazy enough to try and tie down a pilot......then again your priorities in life change. Your wife starts to enjoy having you around you start to look to have a semi normal life with a decent schedule. Sometimes people can find this and be happy with the career as is. Then the real tricky part is when you shoot out a few kids and then life really changes. Travel is a pain in the ***. The terrible schedule is no longer just an inconvenience .....its a stressful disaster. You start to miss kids birthdays, sports, life events....Christmas.....and a fair bit of your kid growing up. Yes there is the argument that yeah your home half the year and you get quality time when you are,. But that being said on the flip side you're also missing half of your kid and family's life so  be prepared for that side of the career choice. There are very few jobs that keep you home for most of your flying, and they mostly all involve getting yourself an IFR ticket and be willing to trade off the exciting part of the flying for a schedule and being home.

But on the positive side ......my career sometimes out of pure luck has been great. I got in when things were batshit crazy had some great mentoring from instructors and the old crusty pilots I met along the way. Had blast in the hay days of the north. Banged off a bunch of hours .....met some amazing people and lifelong friends. Yes i went through all the life changes and did my best to try and shape my career so I could keep flying and be happy at home. Guess I am one of the lucky few.

would I do it all over again if I had the choice hmmmmm now that is the million dollar question

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, vortex said:

Out of curiosity, from all the comments in this thread about how awful the industry is and how anything other than helicopters would be a better career choice, what are you guys doing hanging around a helicopter forum?? Why don't you take your own advice and put this career behind you and never think of it again?? 

I think several have, (Canada’s) at the very least.  It’s a huge financial and life time investment towards a dangling carrot that for a large part never even existed to begin with.  Anyone getting into aviation to make a living and aren’t part of the silver spoon club which many are, should know how things are.  The comments I think you’re referring to are more accurate than not. Not everyone here can be wrong or full of hyperbole, there is a common theme.

• Like 3