Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I know this has been hit before.  Converting Ame to a&p.  I chatted briefly with a school in houston.

2 weeks school. Write the exams.  Meet with examiner.   Leave with License.

There are schools in Califorina and others.

Anyone had involvement with any.  With thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of them pretty much guarantee a conversion as the training they provide is directly related to the content on the tests.  

2 weeks seems like a very thorough program,  If I recall correctly the program I looked at previously was less than, including testing(upper NY state). 

I never went through with it as I found better work in Canada but if I had something lined up, I wouldn't hesitate to do one of the courses. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No. But companies that can not get an AME can start the process to get a visa.  They just have to show they advertised for and employee.  IE. There is a third party maintenance facility in arizonia.  Hire canadians all the time.  They know the process.   I would not recommend under the table. But for the cost and time of an a & p.  Its just a thought

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 3:25 PM, atari said:

Can a Canadian Ame work for an American company without having a visa, if it’s doing US tours?

Not legally, you can’t even work for a Canadian company operating in the USA without a visa. Some companies try the old “tell homeland security you’re just going down to supervise a ✌️Local technician✌️“,  you being the local technician once you smuggle yourself in.  It’s not worth it, they’re more concerned with protecting local workers than ever these days, if you get caught you’ll be banned.  You have to be sponsored by a USA company for an appropriate visa which is getting increasingly more expensive.   That said, USA companies do like Canada’s AME’s workmanship and if you do find one and get there through the proper channels it’s well worth it.  There’s lots more variety to work on and lots of great locals to learn from, and the weather is generally nicer too.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, FiveCut said:

Not legally, you can’t even work for a Canadian company operating in the USA without a visa. Some companies try the old “tell homeland security you’re just going down to supervise a ✌️Local technician✌️“,  you being the local technician once you smuggle yourself in.  It’s not worth it, they’re more concerned with protecting local workers than ever these days, if you get caught you’ll be banned.  You have to be sponsored by a USA company for an appropriate visa which is getting increasingly more expensive.   That said, USA companies do like Canada’s AME’s workmanship and if you do find one and get there through the proper channels it’s well worth it.  There’s lots more variety to work on and lots of great locals to learn from, and the weather is generally nicer too.    

Nice reply, it makes sense that they wouldn’t let anyone work there without a visa.

How about work for a USA company that operates abroad, ie Erikson skycrane. Would still need a visa if the aircraft are in the other side of the world?

Anyone knows how Canadian companies like Coulson do it? I know they have US citizens as A&P’s, but surely they have Canadians too!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, atari said:

Nice reply, it makes sense that they wouldn’t let anyone work there without a visa.

How about work for a USA company that operates abroad, ie skycrane. Would still need a visa if the aircraft are in the other side of the world?

Anyone knows how Canadian companies like Coulson do it? I know they have US citizens as A&P’s, but surely they have Canadians too!

I know several Canadian companies working in the USA and the employees from Canada for sure have to, and did get work visas wether working on N or C registered aircraft as a Canadian AME OR A&P that is 100%. Outside of North America I know guys that worked in Africa Asia Australia Russia Europe and India and did have to get local licenses in certain circumstances but as far as the agreements with other countries with said companies from Canada it would be  per country foreign trade and or bilateral agreement(s) for international travellers / workers.  Some of the guys I know went to support foreign military allies in C registered aircraft and that’s a whole other caveat to this discussion.

This is a great topic and most worthy of its own thread, especially given Canada’s slump in helicopter work several have resorted to international as of the last few years.  I’m sure some of our Canada grown international workers would chime in.  Would love to hear some feedback from different regions of the world for both piloting and engineering as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2021 at 4:39 PM, displayname said:

No. But companies that can not get an AME can start the process to get a visa.  They just have to show they advertised for and employee.  IE. There is a third party maintenance facility in arizonia.  Hire canadians all the time.  They know the process.   I would not recommend under the table. But for the cost and time of an a & p.  Its just a thought

There’s a place that tries to hire ames locally in Arizona over A&P’s? Wtf

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...