Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Please explain to me "CADORS"

I am realizing I don't have a firm understanding of the CADORS system. I had assumed it was a way of recording potentially dangerous actions or acidents for transport investigators to review. However after perusing through some daily occurrences it seems the majority of the incident reports I've read are extremely minor and seemingly insignificant events. Yet I've witnessed some very dangerous things occurring at controlled airfields on occasion and no CADORS reports were filed.

Example, "A Skycare Air Ambulance Fairchild SA227-TT (C-FRPX) on a MEDEVAC flight from Attawapiskat, ON (CYAT) to Timmins/Victor M. Power, ON (CYTS) reported in the missed approach for Runway 21 at 0047Z. The aircraft landed at 0109Z without further incident."

In my mind a missed approach doesn't seem to be worthy of a re portable incident. There may perhaps be more to the story regarding the above example, however the facts in evidence suggest minimal impact to operations and or significance.

My questions:

1. Is every reported incident investigated?

2. If a CADORS report is filed, is a record of it attached to the pilots file at Transport?

3. Do controllers have some sort of standard they are to follow when making the report or is it just whatever they perceive as being unusual?

In general most pilots I know agree, you don't want your name associated with a CADORS report.

Civil Aviation Daily Occurrence Report - not an incident, an occurrence of something non standard. As above the missed approached was carried out without explanation...

Not every one is investigated, I have read a CADORS report that involved a company A/C and the pilot never even knew it had happened (Busted airspace near YYJ) nor did the company receive a call. I understand that if it was an occurrence that compromised flight safety, then it triggers a follow up.

• Like 1

i stopped looking at CADORS because it changed the way it reported things. I dont care about missed approaches. but i did care about sudden engine failures. 

What I did notice in the past, was certain regions had way more reporting than others.

was it because of reporting procedures being followed more closely? was it because they were bored and nothing better to do? was it because the guys in the towers are angry little men over their career choices? who knows really.

but my main purpose was finding out preliminary facts about an incident, to be proactive.

I gain more enjoyment today browsing the enforcement website....get to see how much money the government takes in for noise abatement infractions.

15 hours ago, Norm said:

I

My questions:

1. Is every reported incident investigated?

No, not every one, see tsb investigation class rating system.

2. If a CADORS report is filed, is a record of it attached to the pilots file at Transport?

No, it isn't connected to anything really, just for recording.  

3. Do controllers have some sort of standard they are to follow when making the report or is it just whatever they perceive as being unusual?

Controllers will report what bugs them the most or any number of occurrences and violations.  They report sometimes for other aircraft that may have had a problem also.  Could be aerodrome related or enroute.

In general most pilots I know agree, you don't want your name associated with a CADORS report.

You don't usually see names, just company names or aircraft types.