Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

TDG via external load

On 5/10/2021 at 6:01 PM, Bif said:

I started the EC application process for that last week, I'll let you know how it turns out. 

Frustrating that they are amending the volume limit for gases to accommodate 100lbs cylinders, but aren't doing the same to include 425lbs.

I’d be curious to know if you run into issues, which region you are in and what the turnaround time is for the issuance of the of the EC. I’ve heard from some others, that there are significant disparities from one region to the next. SHOCK! Lol

I've always found it perplexing, that despite decades of TC trying to curb such regional disparity, they continue to struggle to get inspectors and regions to administer the regulations consistently. I guess their corrective actions aren’t directed at the true root cause.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 5:53 AM, Freewheel said:

I’d be curious to know if you run into issues, which region you are in and what the turnaround time is for the issuance of the of the EC. I’ve heard from some others, that there are significant disparities from one region to the next. SHOCK! Lol

I've always found it perplexing, that despite decades of TC trying to curb such regional disparity, they continue to struggle to get inspectors and regions to administer the regulations consistently. I guess their corrective actions aren’t directed at the true root cause.

Colour me surprised!

Pacific region, submitted May 05, response received May 21!

PURPOSE

This equivalency certificate authorizes the transport of propane on a cargo aircraft, which is a helicopter, in quantities greater than what is prescribed by regulations.  The dangerous goods are transported in compliance with section 12.9 – Limited Access of the TDG Regulations.

The dangerous goods are contained in cylinders that are either slung externally from the helicopter or in an external cargo compartment attached to the helicopter.  In either case, the cylinders shall be transported in an upright position unless they are designed for horizontal service.

CONDITIONS

This equivalency certificate authorizes XYZ to handle, offer for transport, or transport, by cargo aircraft, dangerous goods that are:

UN Number

Shipping Name and Description

Class

Packing

Group

UN1075

LIQUEFIED PETROLEUM GASES

UN1978

PROPANE

in a manner that does not comply with:

·         subsection 12.1(2) of the TDG Regulations,

if the following conditions are met:

1)    General

a)    The dangerous goods are handled, offered for transport or transported in compliance with section 12.9 – Limited Access of the TDG Regulations, except for subparagraph 12.9(10)(b)(i);

b)    The dangerous goods are contained in cylinders that are either slung externally from the helicopter or in an external cargo compartment attached to the helicopter; 

c)    Cylinders shall be transported in an upright position unless they are designed for horizontal service;

d)    The dangerous goods are transported from the last aerodrome of departure utilized by the air operator to access the limited access area and no stops are permitted at any other aerodrome except for emergency reasons or re-fuelling;

e)    The dangerous goods are transported, using the same aircraft, to or from a location where access is limited and there is no other practical or readily available means of transport; and

f)     A paper or electronic copy of this equivalency certificate accompanies the dangerous goods during transport and must be provided to an inspector or a peace officer immediately upon request.

2)    Means of Containment

a)    The dangerous goods are contained in a cylinder that is in compliance with section 5.10 of Part 5 of the TDG Regulations and that does not exceed 450 L water capacity;

b)    The lifting points which have been welded directly on the tank are not used to sling the tank while it is full;

c)    The sling gear is attached to the lifting harness or the skid assembly when the tank is full; and

d)    Any protective covers and guards are secured in place to prevent the sling gear or hooks from damaging valves or gauges of the cylinders.

3)            Training

a)    In addition to the requirements of Part 6 (Training) of the TDG Regulations, the certificate holder ensures that the personnel handling, offering for transport or transporting the dangerous goods are trained in regards to the conditions of this equivalency certificate.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bif said:

Colour me surprised!

Pacific region, submitted May 05, response received May 21!

PURPOSE

This equivalency certificate authorizes the transport of propane on a cargo aircraft, which is a helicopter, in quantities greater than what is prescribed by regulations.  The dangerous goods are transported in compliance with section 12.9 – Limited Access of the TDG Regulations.

The dangerous goods are contained in cylinders that are either slung externally from the helicopter or in an external cargo compartment attached to the helicopter.  In either case, the cylinders shall be transported in an upright position unless they are designed for horizontal service.

CONDITIONS

This equivalency certificate authorizes XYZ to handle, offer for transport, or transport, by cargo aircraft, dangerous goods that are:

UN Number

Shipping Name and Description

Class

Packing

Group

UN1075

LIQUEFIED PETROLEUM GASES

UN1978

PROPANE

in a manner that does not comply with:

·         subsection 12.1(2) of the TDG Regulations,

if the following conditions are met:

1)    General

a)    The dangerous goods are handled, offered for transport or transported in compliance with section 12.9 – Limited Access of the TDG Regulations, except for subparagraph 12.9(10)(b)(i);

b)    The dangerous goods are contained in cylinders that are either slung externally from the helicopter or in an external cargo compartment attached to the helicopter; 

c)    Cylinders shall be transported in an upright position unless they are designed for horizontal service;

d)    The dangerous goods are transported from the last aerodrome of departure utilized by the air operator to access the limited access area and no stops are permitted at any other aerodrome except for emergency reasons or re-fuelling;

e)    The dangerous goods are transported, using the same aircraft, to or from a location where access is limited and there is no other practical or readily available means of transport; and

f)     A paper or electronic copy of this equivalency certificate accompanies the dangerous goods during transport and must be provided to an inspector or a peace officer immediately upon request.

2)    Means of Containment

a)    The dangerous goods are contained in a cylinder that is in compliance with section 5.10 of Part 5 of the TDG Regulations and that does not exceed 450 L water capacity;

b)    The lifting points which have been welded directly on the tank are not used to sling the tank while it is full;

c)    The sling gear is attached to the lifting harness or the skid assembly when the tank is full; and

d)    Any protective covers and guards are secured in place to prevent the sling gear or hooks from damaging valves or gauges of the cylinders.

3)            Training

a)    In addition to the requirements of Part 6 (Training) of the TDG Regulations, the certificate holder ensures that the personnel handling, offering for transport or transporting the dangerous goods are trained in regards to the conditions of this equivalency certificate.

Ya got figured you’d get the EC no prob blemish; and that’s very respectable level of service. I applied for one last year in Ontario. Took about a week.