Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Recent Forum Conduct

Just now, Pool pilot said:

I disagree that the forum should be taken down.

I think that the members must use their real names for the profile as I believe that will stop the abuse we have seen here in the past.

Dan Stewart 

• Like 1

I have been away for a while as well. I got tired of reading stupid things that cowards would say as they hide in anonymity. I say keep the forums but as Dan said, you post, you post under your real name. This can be a useful and informative place as well as a good place to keep in touch with friends. 

412driver

aka Rob Dyck

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Pool pilot said:

I disagree that the forum should be taken down.

I think that the members must use their real names forbthe profile as I believe that will stop the abuse we have seen here in the past.

Dan Stewart 

I think it’s past due for an overhaul or removal.  There wouldn’t be many users willing to use the forum with their actual names and titles I don’t think, perhaps vertical should run a poll and see how many would be willing to participate.

Lots of users have disappeared since the original forum conduct post of 9 years ago it seems.  I’m one of many  opinions and may be wrong but I have been around long enough to see it’s not progressing for the betterment of responsible forum users.  
It’s really not informative anymore just lots of gossip and trash talk.  Lots of bald statements and allegations and abuse of this platform as the OP has indicated.  I think it’s time to put a fork in this thing, but I could be wrong.

Personally, I may be a loser, but I check in about 2-3 times a day on this forum, mainly because that's how often I run through my online media and investment sites.

I like this forum, mainly because as a retired pilot I have very little contact with others from the industry, and I miss the contact.

Articles like Bladestrike's ferry trip make up for all the nasty, stupid, and outrageous posts the idiots make on here, and I for one would not like to miss another quality piece like that.

Lastly, as I get on in years, as sad as it is, I do appreciate hearing about fellow aviators that have passed on, and remembering the times we spent together, and that I would really miss.

As for posting our real names, maybe the time has come, and hopefully the idiots would go away.

Greg Kennedy  

• Like 9

Oh man...what did I miss? A back  yard brawl? All kidding aside, why the heck don’t we all just get along? I’ve taken a lot of licks from certain ego driven so called “superiors” over the last  23 years of flying and I look back now and feel sad for them. So sad! I’m not perfect and I’m not the best but I believe in honesty, integrity and trust. Too bad others don’t always see it and I can’t help that. Their loss and that’s that! 
I want to plead to all “leaders, superiors and mentors” in this industry, please check your ego at the door! Lift people up instead of giving them a kick in the ribs when they are down! You are not perfect so don’t pretend be! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cjg said:

Oh man...what did I miss? A back  yard brawl? All kidding aside, why the heck don’t we all just get along? I’ve taken a lot of licks from certain ego driven so called “superiors” over the last  23 years of flying and I look back now and feel sad for them. So sad! I’m not perfect and I’m not the best but I believe in honesty, integrity and trust. Too bad others don’t always see it and I can’t help that. Their loss and that’s that! 
I want to plead to all “leaders, superiors and mentors” in this industry, please check your ego at the door! Lift people up instead of giving them a kick in the ribs when they are down! You are not perfect so don’t pretend be! 

That attitude won’t die as long as this industry exists unfortunately.  Giving voice to said A-holes (anonymously) with a forum like Vertical, inherently we’ll see those posts as long as the forums exist.
It’ll never change.  Enforcement of “true identity” in a public forum is much easier said than done, and besides the logistics,  there’s also a dollar value to that idea.  
Forums are a place for constructive exchange on thoughts and ideas for the betterment of the members.        If we all look at the content being produced outside of a vacuum of the original posts currently and see the actual threads and weigh good and bad I think most users won’t be surprised how low it’s become.

user names are as unique as each and every one of us.

I personally dont need to see your name posted in your user name or as a signature. The element of mystery over who "Goose" is, offers the user some intrigue.

however, i do believe proper credentials need to be used to get a membership.

the reason why, is that this industry is full of back stabbers. always will be. guys willing to trash you on these pages and outside in the field. proper ID will keep out some of the riff raff, fake profiles etc.

every one of us still needs the ability to protect our interests and ourselves from frivolous back stabbing etc. Not all of us are in positions where we have the skills or the boys club to protect us from harm. many of us dont get off on the right foot, or get caught in the emotions of a discussion. neither of those faux pas warrant a lifetime of despair in the industry. the forum is not the judge jury and executioner of someones career.

with our credentials being verified on the back side, the forum admins have the ability to offer that information if a situation gets out of hand. but that cant be taken lightly either. there has to be checks and balances the forum admins need to adhere to before the threshold is crossed and your ID is made available.

if some of you are feeling safe to post your names, good on you. but thats not for everyone.

• Like 3

The Vertical forums are meant to provide for open discussion and dialogue.  However, recently certain individuals' posts have sunk to all-time lows.  This includes the impersonation of other individuals and fraud.  In one case an individual went so far as to post a fake job listing for a company, and impersonate the individual that works at this company.  This is libelous and will not be tolerated.  We continue to investigate these posts.  The individual(s) WILL BE identified and their names and contact details provided to company lawyers for further action.  

Vertical originated from Canadian Aviation were dialogue allowed people to comment on aviation related subjects. Companies and individuals in the Industry   were a NO-GO.

I believe whole heartedly that a person should have to post their registered name, and be accountable for what they POST. 

Maybe that way we can get rid of the BS....., including H-A-C, the cause of screwing up the industry$$$$$$

Donald J McDougall

• Like 4

I would be completely comfortable with having to fully document my identity to the forum administrators.  Allowing me to have a relatively anonymous user name means that I can post personal opinions and not have them confused with any organizational/occupational restrictions I may have to follow.  For some, this is a serious concern.

• Like 1