Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

PRM salary

IFlySometime

Their are far too many variables to say a DoM or a PRM salary should be $X.  Obviously size of fleet, size of crew you are managing, your QA program ( are you doing it all or do you have a QA person), customer audits requirements (BARS, Contrail, etc), length of flying season ( do you shut the doors for 4 month every winter), is it a MRO, a DoM for the AMO and AO all play a factor in your salary.

Personally I have always gone with the amount of time, energy, stress, etc put in to the amount I got paid.  I need to be happy with that.  It will be different for each person, and only they can determine that.  There are other factors that have a value, that will not show up on a T4.  What's the value of being home every night, having the freedom to make your own schedule, a set and dependable schedule, company Vehicles maybe?, not sleeping in tents in the artic, not on road all the time, etc.  Perhaps field engineers will or should make more then the PRM or DoM, but they are likely away from home more, sleeping in various conditions ( tents to hotels), work in various weather conditions ( hot sun to the artic), working long and random hours, etc. 

You just need to be happy with what you make for what you put into it.  If you are just chasing larger salary, what are you giving up to get it, and in the end was it worth it??  Their is always someone who pays more, but is it better??  Only you can answer that.

Sorry I went on bit of a rant.  I see these type questions about how much should a pilot make, or an AME make, or a contractor make.  It is all subjective to what your experience is, type of work you are doing, what type of schedule you have, full time vs contract, etc, so there is not set rate for a ( fill in the blank) should make.  You just can't say an AME should make $100K, are you working a 2 and 2 or a 4 and 2 schedule, are you freshly licensed or twenty years experience, are you working off a cozy base with hangar or fighting bugs and weather.

Each person needs to be happy with what they get for what they put in.  If you are not, look around till you find it.

Thanks for listening if you made it this far through my rant.

Be safe, and enjoy what you do.    

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Superwrench said:

Their are far too many variables to say a DoM or a PRM salary should be $X.  Obviously size of fleet, size of crew you are managing, your QA program ( are you doing it all or do you have a QA person), customer audits requirements (BARS, Contrail, etc), length of flying season ( do you shut the doors for 4 month every winter), is it a MRO, a DoM for the AMO and AO all play a factor in your salary.

Personally I have always gone with the amount of time, energy, stress, etc put in to the amount I got paid.  I need to be happy with that.  It will be different for each person, and only they can determine that.  There are other factors that have a value, that will not show up on a T4.  What's the value of being home every night, having the freedom to make your own schedule, a set and dependable schedule, company Vehicles maybe?, not sleeping in tents in the artic, not on road all the time, etc.  Perhaps field engineers will or should make more then the PRM or DoM, but they are likely away from home more, sleeping in various conditions ( tents to hotels), work in various weather conditions ( hot sun to the artic), working long and random hours, etc. 

You just need to be happy with what you make for what you put into it.  If you are just chasing larger salary, what are you giving up to get it, and in the end was it worth it??  Their is always someone who pays more, but is it better??  Only you can answer that.

Sorry I went on bit of a rant.  I see these type questions about how much should a pilot make, or an AME make, or a contractor make.  It is all subjective to what your experience is, type of work you are doing, what type of schedule you have, full time vs contract, etc, so there is not set rate for a ( fill in the blank) should make.  You just can't say an AME should make $100K, are you working a 2 and 2 or a 4 and 2 schedule, are you freshly licensed or twenty years experience, are you working off a cozy base with hangar or fighting bugs and weather.

Each person needs to be happy with what they get for what they put in.  If you are not, look around till you find it.

Thanks for listening if you made it this far through my rant.

Be safe, and enjoy what you do.    

Well said!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 5/8/2021 at 9:42 AM, Heliian said:

Without looking at the job or company, a PRM position doesn't really require skills like a DOM position.  Your job would be to compile reports, track times and liase with your amo for performance of maintenance.  Unless they have a massive, multitype fleet then $72000 is pretty decent for the position. 

Ian is correct in my opinion, many non AMO operators have part time PRM's. Depending on fleet size 1 day a week would be adequate in many cases. I would say making 70K a year for one day a week most likely working from home drinking scotch is a far better deal then 120K a year in Baker Lake eating mosquito's all day and running from Grizzly bears at night but hey I have most definitely gotten soft. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 3:52 PM, rotornut said:

Ian is correct in my opinion, many non AMO operators have part time PRM's. Depending on fleet size 1 day a week would be adequate in many cases. I would say making 70K a year for one day a week most likely working from home drinking scotch is a far better deal then 120K a year in Baker Lake eating mosquito's all day and running from Grizzly bears at night but hey I have most definitely gotten soft. 

A prm should not be in the field being chased by grizzlies lol

• Haha 1

That's why the contract AME makes the bigger bucks.  I have been a PRM/DOM for over 30 years, I have also done the Baker Lake thing. Most Part Time PRM's are retired from previous full time PRM duties. Take for example an AG. company with 2 R44's that fly 200 hours each per year. All maintenance contracted to an AMO. How much work for a part time PRM? I day a week tops. Owner/Accountable Executive still ultimately responsible at the end of the day. I am not advocating people do this job for nothing as it is thankless, just trying to provide some context. A PRM in an AMO/Operator setting doing the job full time should make the equivalent of the CP/Ops Manager. A good manager will pay for themselves and more. Fly safe out there we have lost too many good people.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

One important thing to point out (that I think has not been said yet) is that you do not need to hold an AME license to be appointed PRM of an Air Operator (Or the PRM of an AMO without a rating in the aircraft category). So perhaps that could affect salary discussions for a smaller operator.

• 9 months later...
On 5/8/2023 at 1:42 PM, Rotorfixer said:

One important thing to point out (that I think has not been said yet) is that you do not need to hold an AME license to be appointed PRM of an Air Operator (Or the PRM of an AMO without a rating in the aircraft category). So perhaps that could affect salary discussions for a smaller operator.

That would most definitely be a factor. I’ve worked with companies that have had unlicensed PRM’s and, there’s is a broad spectrum of qualities they have and lack lol.  The only ones I’ve witness do this are ma and pa shops, and usually someone’s family member.  Either way a prm starting wage should be six figures, it’s a mid management 💩 job

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2023 at 1:42 PM, Rotorfixer said:

you do not need to hold an AME license to be appointed PRM of an Air Operator

That should only be reserved for extremely small operations.  PRM’s should have a decent skill set in the maintenance world.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2021 at 9:42 AM, Heliian said:

Without looking at the job or company, a PRM position doesn't really require skills like a DOM position.  Your job would be to compile reports, track times and liase with your amo for performance of maintenance.  Unless they have a massive, multitype fleet then $72000 is pretty decent for the position. 

That’s a disgustingly low wage for any job of that responsibility no matter the arrangement.  Wtf 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1