Crash near Powell river

• 2 weeks later...

Occurrence Summary:

C-FZVM, a Black Tusk Helicopters Inc. Kaman Aerospace Corporation K-1200 (K-max) helicopter,

was conducting heli-logging operations in the vicinity of Killam Bay, in Jervis Inlet, BC, with 1 pilot

on board. Following a mid-day break, the pilot resumed transporting logs from a cut block to an

ocean pen approximately 0.6 NM NW. About 1 minute after departing the cut block with a load of 3

logs in the grapple, workers at the cut block heard a loud noise that came from the area of the

ocean pen. The pilot could not be contacted by radio nor did he return to the cut block. A company

support helicopter was directed to search the area of the ocean pen where they found debris in the

water and a sheen on the water. A search and rescue helicopter arrived on scene but was unable

to locate the helicopter. Portions of 3 rotor blades were recovered by searchers on the water.

The helicopter was located by sonar 8 days after the occurrence. It was approximately 150m west

of the reported initial collision location at a depth of approximately 110m. The pilot was fatally

injured.

• Sad 1

The pilot was a dear friend and will be greatly missed.  He was a mentor when i was a 100hr idiot and went out of his way to train me on and off the job.  He kept me alive when I took my first  job overseas as a 200hr driver, one that I was gloriously under qualified for, shitting my self daily, being always available for a phone call and advice. Many of the tips and tricks I share today with our younger pilots I learned from him.   

Still very hard to believe he's gone.  One of the most capable and experienced pilots I have ever had the good fortune to know.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1