Fixed Wing And Rotary

Popaloops

Well, someone on PPRuNe forum sent me this link www.harsair.com . Flight training school for Fixed Wing, pretty much what I see is one can get commerical fixed wing license for under $20,000 . So comming out of that training, you would have roughly 200 hours on fw. now then if one was to convert to rotary, that would be another $25,000 roughly ( correct me if i wrong ) so that is a total of about $45,000. Now, converting, you would only have I beleive 60 hours on rotary, then 200 on fixed. So to an operator, would they look at you giving you the low time of 60 hours, or the time of 260 hours?

And is anyone framiliar with harvsair.com maybe eve if one can check it out and lemme know if it seems like a reputable school. to me, it seems like it is a good school they offer BA in aviation and diploma . they are part of University of Manitoba. So..I would beleive they are good. but why so cheap...thats like half the cost of what it is here in BC

Hmm...I must apologize, K I have found also that I guess it could be as that cheap here in BC, I was wrong and compared those prices to Selkirk or BCIT for their 2 year program, Totally different.

but anyways, Would that be a route to go, full comercial fixed wing, then convert to rotary? be a total time of 260 hours, but....would a rotary operator even consider giving one credit for fixed wing hours, or would he just look at you having only 60 hours

Your 200 hours fixed wing would only be counted towards your total time experience as far as insurance goes with some operators. I met one guy in my travels who had about 5000 hours fixed wing and did the 60 hour conversion and was picked up immediately and is flying commercial already. This guy has been flying in the bush for 12 years though, so it's not quite the same. If you're a 200 hour fixed wing wonder, it won't count much in any operator's eyes as far as your ability to do the job. You'll have saved a few bucks, that's all...

Popaloops ------- I can recommend Harve's Air highly and they don't have a low time instructor amongst the bunch. So if you are expecting to find some low time instructor who is there building time by instructing before they venture out into the great big world, then forget it because you won't find any there. They also offer the ability to do your Ground School over the internet if that would work better for you. That also applies to any further endorsements or ratings that you might want in the future. They've also been around for a very long time, are well financed, well managed and have a very good, but low-profile reputation. I didn't train there either nor do I have relatives associated with the firm or any other interest to make me biased.

The 200 hrs will be taken note of in the same sense that the 60 hrs will be taken note of. Those are all fine hours, but they are "learning hours" and not hours flown out in the bush, 100 miles miles north of "Squirrel Town, SK" using nothing but your own devices, brains and common sense. Ergo, it's nice and all that, but doesn't really count for all that much. Do 2 years of that on F/W and then do as you said and then........that's a whole other bunch of things that you have to offer that can't be and won't be ignored by most R/W operators. Teaching you how to fly is the easy part, but your proven ability to satisfy the job and bring the a/c back home at night in one piece is a whole different story. That's proof right there that you are trustworthy enough for someone to consider giving you one of their expensive assets to disappear over the horizon with, no matter whether it's F/W or R/W. The fancy name for all that is called "experience". :D

I agree with cap, if you're going to complete the commercial fixed-wing course you might as well get some real world experience as a driver before converting. I flew fixed-wing for a few years before I got my rotary-wing ticket and the hours I had spent in an operational environment gave me a big advantage over 100 hour heli-drivers.

Good luck. :up: