Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Fligh Manual Limitations

In a similar vein to the window VNE, how about 206 range extenders, one manufacturer requires a 200 lb cockpit weight and has a much more restrictive C of G window than a competitor yet 25+ years of experience should show the restrictions aren't necessary. How many people out there don't know of the differences?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh yes, another item about "filler necks" and how Bell & Company can't make up their mines on where to put them. They are all on the right-hand side and approximately so far up the side. Oh really? Three-quarters of a tank on the so-called "normal" one will give you approximately 50 gals. Three quaters of a tank on the other one will give you approximately 80 gals. Bunch of idiots!.......what's wrong with leaving the **** thing where it's been since 1966. Perhaps some didn't know they weren't all the same on all the models of plain old 206? Boy are you going to be annoyed when you only want 3/4 of a tank for a weight-sensitive load and you get a look at what you've just pumped onboard. :D

RDM--------"Buggar" eh? I won't touch that one because it has a perverted sexual connotation nowadays and I ain't "going there" you understand. :lol: As far as OLD" is concerned......I'll give you something "old". For eons I said "Please don't SLAM the doors and I had most frequent pax trained after awhile. Then some idiot at Bell & Company couldn't leave-well-enough-alone. I then commenced to tell the same pax to shut the door FIRMLY and I then get a dirty look and asked, "Geez Cap, are you having a bad morning because I didn't mean to SLAM the door....there's no reason to be sarcastic". There follows an idiotic conversation with the same person I "read-out" years before about manhandling the door. That's why I like my "old" Mediums.......little has changed on them since I first set foot in one in mid 1965. ****, I even picked-up a totally refurbished one at Bell years ago that had had a fair amount of sheet metal work done on it. I saw that it had no hook, but investigated no farther. Upon arrival in Canada, I discoved that the "**** hole" had been completely sheet-metalled over. Apparently some young idiots at Bell weren't around when 204's rolled off the assembly line and sheet-metaled-over my "hole" ........then I felt "OLD". :lol::lol: So much for D.I.'s. :lol:

The 110 mph restriction might be for the single latch doors because of the pull on the latch. I vaguely remember a Tech-Tool plastics installation manual saying 'not to be installed in single latch doors'. Anybody ever flown with front and aft door bubbles installed together? I hear that seems to give some interesting airflow across the a/c in cruise... :shock:

I have and the only difference I've noted is if the "plug" at the bottom of the pilot's bubble door is in place or not. If it is put in place during cruise flight, there will be a noticeable "nose-down" tendency, causing the normal cyclic adjustment which would approximate about 2"-3" aft. Other than that "nada". This may also change depending on the size and shape of that hole in the pilot's door and perhaps the size, shape and manufacturer of that bubble window, The size and shape of the 206 bubble window ahs always been a problem for me and if possible, the door comes off because of that. I don't need much of an excuse to remove my door anyway because I much prefer the door off anyway. If it didn't slow me down and passengers permitted, I'd fly the whole **** summer (in good weather) with ALL the doors off (Mediums included)....but I also happen have a weakness for convertibles too. :lol:

The VNE for bubble windows is there because they act like sidways airfoil and the faster you go, the more stress you put on the doors and the airframe. Have you ever noticed that the upper corner of the back doors on a 206 stick out about half an inch off the frame in flight when they're perfectly sealed on the ground? Just cause you've flown above 110 and didn't notice any trouble, doesn't mean no damage was done. That's no different than over grossing or over torquing your a/c and not noticing any immediate negative effects. The limits are there for reason, so just observed them and be happy. The engineers that dictate those limitations don't just come up with an arbitrary number out of a hat!!!!

As far as duct taping #### to the skids, just because everybody does it, doesn't mean you should. I think C.A.R.S. is pretty clear on this: any modification of an a/c has to be done i.a.w. a standard. If that standard can't be found in any existing documentation, then it must be done i.a.w. a Supplemental Type Certificate. In some cases, if the modification falls under certain criteria, it can be done as a "minor mod" in which case, no approval is required as long as the standards used can be found in an approved document i.e.: maintenance manual, AC43-13 etc.

The use of duct tape on the skids certainly does not fall under any of those categories.

Get use to doing things differently than in the past all across the board, legal or not. Since the beginning of time it was tradition and normal to carry canoes and boats on F/W aircraft when they were on floats........but it's now illegal. Somewhere, sometime, out there in the world, some person had a problem with this and now all that was done before in this regard since KittyHawk was all wrong and dangerous. It's CYA time in aviation these days and everyone is making sure that "the ambulance-chasers, otherwise known as lawyers, can find no cause to take their *** to court. They and insurance companies rule the world in all fields and industries nowadays.

Everyone knows that exceeding a limitian and damaging a A/C will void the C of A and hence void the insurance.

What are your feeling on the the above mentioned.

IMHO limitations are there to ensure the aircraft will be able to survive subsequent flights in a safe and expeditious manner. :up:

The only time it is acceptable to exceed the limitations is when it has become obvious that if the limitations are not exceeded, no subsequent flight on this aircraft is likely. :shock: “If ya catch my drift . . . . “

“Aluminium never forgets”