Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Chopper Down?

Heard on the news today that a private, possibly home built machine did not arrive at it's destination yesterday. One of our machines was working in the area today and the driver said that he heard a Buffalo and maybe a Cormorant on 126.7.

Hopefully the missing driver is found ok.

I heard on the news this morning that the heli was found near Outsa lk. and that the 53 year old pilot was found dead.

My condolances to family and friends.

Mini

Missing helicopter pilot found dead

Last updated Jul 27 2005 11:46 AM PDT

CBC News

A Canadian Forces search and rescue crew has found the wreckage of a kit-built helicopter reported missing on a short flight in northern B.C. this week.

The 53-year-old pilot had planned to fly his Rotorway Exec 162F home-built helicopter from his home at Ootsa Lake to nearby Francois Lake on Monday.

His body was found in the wreckage, which had been spotted on the shoreline of Ootsa Lake.

After the pilot failed to show up at Francois Lake, a group of friends had begun their own search before calling the Victoria Rescue Co-ordination Centre.

A Canadian Forces Buffalo aircraft and a Cormorant helicopter then flew to the rural area, 240 kilometres west of Prince George.

The dead man's name has not been released.

I know it's too early to speculate on this particular accident, but why do you guys think so many of these homebuilts crash ? Is it because their dfesign is bad ? Is it bewcause they're improperly built and maintained ? Or is it that most people who own and fly these aircraft are relatively inexperienced ? :huh:

...but why do you guys think so many of these homebuilts crash ? Is it because their dfesign is bad ? Is it bewcause they're improperly built and maintained ? Or is it that most people who own and fly these aircraft are relatively inexperienced ?  :huh:

For myself I have decided not to fly any experimental (home-built) category helicopters. I think any flaws inherent in a design have a greater chance of being vetted out in aircraft pursuing a standard airworthiness certificate. Additionally, once certified, an aircraft design will be flown in greater numbers, for greater hours. This process leads to a maturing of the design and limitations of the aircraft. I humbly acknowledge and respect the sacrifices of all those that have gone before and proven certified aircraft designs and their limitations. Some of the lessons "we" have learned have been tragically costly. :(

I do not apply these same personal limitations to experimental (home-built) category airplanes. The difference? Helicopters magnitude of complexity is sufficiently greater than airplanes to tip the scales, IMHO.

YMMV. :mellow:

I may sound a bit cruel, but if you buy, build and fly a 'home built' aircraft, what does that say about the type of person you are?

Anyone who flies, particularily if you fly for a living, accepts the risks in doing so, but, for myself anyway, I have alot of confidence in the airworthiness of the aircraft, the skills of the AMEs who work on them, and my skills as a pilot.

I can't say that I, in my humble opinion, would have the same level of confidence in a 'kit' aircraft.

As for the level of training or certification these pilots have, well that is unknown to me... but I can't help but think that many of them are not adequately trained.

I may sound a bit cruel, but if you buy, build and fly a 'home built' aircraft, what does that say about the type of person you are?...

I don't follow you Rotorboy, what does it say to you? :huh:

To me it says you probably have more money, time, ability, persistence, discipline, and self confidence than I do. :lol: As long as that doesn't become blindly ambitious hubris it probably works! :up: