Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Seeking guidance on recovering unpaid wages after resigning…

• STICKJIGGLER changed the title to Seeking guidance on recovering unpaid wages after resigning…

If you worked for it, then you are owed it. Remember, for every dime you make for the company, the boss makes a dollar. Your time, effort and labour is not a charity for a profit-making entity. If they refuse to give what is legally, but above all, ethically owed, don't be afraid to approach a labour lawyer, even on a pro-bono basis. If you are treated disrespectfully, don't be afraid to burn a bridge, and educate others about their ways, so as others don't cross a charred bridge. It is based on principle and morality. Don't think it will hinder your future chances of employment. Think of it as an experience and self-betterment. If you are rightfully owed, then don't concede. You will regret it in the years to come. You are not the only one, and by far not the last one to have this problem. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/jobs/workplace/federal-labour-standards/filing-complaint.html

This will cost you nothing and is not much effort. I know a person that filed a claim and got what was owed. Might take a while. Just make sure it is federal and not provincial,  as we are federally regulated.

Good luck, and get what you are owed. We spend enough time away from family and friends to not get compensated for our time. A good company won’t care if you made a claim against your last employer. If they do, you probably don’t want to work for them. 

• Like 6

I remember a loooooong time back...a fella got stiffed by his boss, so he left. Two days later, the boss phones and asks "where is my logbook"? Fella says "I have no idea... but I'm guessing it is probably sitting right beside a pile of cash". Next day, fella got paid... and two days after that Greyhound found the logbook. P.F.M. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 412driver said:

I remember a loooooong time back...a fella got stiffed by his boss, so he left. Two days later, the boss phones and asks "where is my logbook"? Fella says "I have no idea... but I'm guessing it is probably sitting right beside a pile of cash". Next day, fella got paid... and two days after that Greyhound found the logbook. P.F.M. 

Good one buddy...long time since we where in Dallas!!

On 12/28/2021 at 4:52 PM, bigD said:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/jobs/workplace/federal-labour-standards/filing-complaint.html

This will cost you nothing and is not much effort. I know a person that filed a claim and got what was owed. Might take a while. Just make sure it is federal and not provincial,  as we are federally regulated.

Good luck, and get what you are owed. We spend enough time away from family and friends to not get compensated for our time. A good company won’t care if you made a claim against your last employer. If they do, you probably don’t want to work for them. 

This industry carries a grudge. You can find yourself with a reputation if you have the nerve to ask for your pay. 

12 hours ago, Twin Helix said:

This industry carries a grudge. You can find yourself with a reputation if you have the nerve to ask for your pay. 

Disagree.... I know a lot of @$$ holes (myself included 😆) that keep finding work because grudge or not, when the boss needs a pilot in the seat? All sins are forgiven. I have seen this for over 30 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1