R22/300c

BuckSlice

Hi all,

Just thought i would ask to see what everyone would prefer to do their training in and the reasons behind their choice. The 300c and the r22 both seem to have the market cover on training helicopters(as am gathering more information from my research into heli schools) Also do they function in the same manner as far as training is concerned, I would just like the insiders choice.

:stupid:

Actually, the 300C isn't used that often for training. You'll find most schools operate the 300CB or 300 CBi.

As far as preference, the choice is a very personal one. Both have pros and cons. If you browse through some previous posts in this forum, you'll find a lot of discussions on this. One of the mags had an article comparing the two awhile ago. I had posted the link here somewhere, so if you dig, you'll find it.

The three piston types most commonly used in flight training are the R22, the HU30 and the Bell 47. IMHO, all three get the job done. The best way to decide for yourself is to actually try all the different types offered by the schools you're considering.

Choosing the right school is about a lot more than just the type of aircraft they fly. Their maintenance and safety record and reputation are much higher on the list.

If you go to the Heli-College Canada website, you'll find some articles written by Lyle Watts. One of them is a list of questions to ask the schools you're considering (face to face, not on the phone). The way they answer will tell you a lot about them. Lyle has an obvious preference for the R22, 'cause that's what his school flies, but other than that, the info is delivered in quite an objective manner.

My 2 bits... :D

of course the school you talk to will say their helicopter is the best to train on and give you a vast number of reasons why................ :wacko:

everybody always asks about helicopter types but nobody seems to ask about instructor EXPERIENCE!!!

would you want to learn from somebody that has some or not???? also, what KIND of experience! if you hear "our instructors have thousands of hours" you should immediately ask "doing what?"

if they can't rattle off: fires, seismic, offshore, air ambulance, oil patch, IFR ect. right off the bat then that may be something to think about............. :unsure:

if they can't rattle off: fires, seismic, offshore, air ambulance, oil patch, IFR ect. right off the bat then that may be something to think about............. :unsure:

Ya, like how much instructing experience do they have. No disrespect intended, that experience is valuable to the instructor when staying ahead of the aircraft with the student at the controls, but instructing experience is what gives the instructor the advantage. Hence the instructor class system based on instructing experience. Having said that, any experience may not improve an instructors performance if he/she's not instructing for the right reasons. It depends vastly on the individual. :)

Before deciding on a school, test drive the different aircraft so see which one suits you and also evaluate the instructor and school.

Regardless, good luck with your choices.

:up: