Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Removal of drug testing (cannabis)

Do you think the aviation industry will ever get a more mature and fact based opinion towards cannabis? Since legalization in 2018, MANY more operators require pre-employment testing than they did pre-legalization. There is a strict no use/zero tolerance approach. However alcohol abuse is wildly accepted in our industry, promoted and celebrated. Yet cannabis use 2-3 weeks before your shift is unallowable and stigmatized. (discrimination)

During legalization one of the biggest calls for zero tolerance was the police, and it was tied to the fact they carry loaded weapons and have authorization to use them. The Calgary police has since changed their minds. https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/off-duty-cannabis-prohibition-for-calgary-police-officers-lifted 

"Other police forces at that time considered banning cannabis use within 28 days of a shift, eyeing the fact traces of its active ingredient THC remain in the body long after consumption.

Critics, including leaders of police associations, called that rule de facto prohibition and ridiculous, noting that THC presence in the body often doesn’t denote impairment."

Transport Canada is completely out of touch with reality, do only 80+ yr boomers who work there? Furthermore there is medical users of Cannabis, Dr. prescribed medication. If covid has taught us anything its that you have to listen to the doctors or you are a nazi!

Responsible cannabis use does not imply you are unfit for duty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This would be a lawyers dream.

Dead passengers and a positive drug test.

Kiss your world good bye.....

who knows how the operators would do in the case of your pilot was STONED?

Even if they found a trace of it in the test you would be done.

As for alcohol it is 8 hrs from bottle to throttle and 24 if the drinking was excessive.

But this will make for an interesting thread..... and thanks for taking it away from covid.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, chopterlol said:

Do you think the aviation industry will ever get a more mature and fact based opinion towards cannabis? Since legalization in 2018, MANY more operators require pre-employment testing than they did pre-legalization. There is a strict no use/zero tolerance approach. However alcohol abuse is wildly accepted in our industry, promoted and celebrated. Yet cannabis use 2-3 weeks before your shift is unallowable and stigmatized. (discrimination)

During legalization one of the biggest calls for zero tolerance was the police, and it was tied to the fact they carry loaded weapons and have authorization to use them. The Calgary police has since changed their minds. https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/off-duty-cannabis-prohibition-for-calgary-police-officers-lifted 

"Other police forces at that time considered banning cannabis use within 28 days of a shift, eyeing the fact traces of its active ingredient THC remain in the body long after consumption.

Critics, including leaders of police associations, called that rule de facto prohibition and ridiculous, noting that THC presence in the body often doesn’t denote impairment."

Transport Canada is completely out of touch with reality, do only 80+ yr boomers who work there? Furthermore there is medical users of Cannabis, Dr. prescribed medication. If covid has taught us anything its that you have to listen to the doctors or you are a nazi!

Responsible cannabis use does not imply you are unfit for duty.

I'll drink to that!

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, simpleton said:

Who wildly accepts alcohol abuse, and were is it promoted and celebrated in our industry?

Pray tell.

If you have to ask this question you have been working with your eyes closed! I hate to say it but I have seen numerous pilots that over indulged on some pops. I’ve seen people stay up all night drinking, people passing out with the lights on and clothes on getting up then jumping into the helicopter. Pilots drinking 10+ beer every night is excessive. Would you rather fly with someone who smoked weed last week or someone who drank 15 beer last night and is hungover!! Tell me who is the safer pilot! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, JRK38 said:

If you have to ask this question you have been working with your eyes closed! I hate to say it but I have seen numerous pilots that over indulged on some pops. I’ve seen people stay up all night drinking, people passing out with the lights on and clothes on getting up then jumping into the helicopter. Pilots drinking 10+ beer every night is excessive. Would you rather fly with someone who smoked weed last week or someone who drank 15 beer last night and is hungover!! Tell me who is the safer pilot! 

You just described societies flaws at large, not an aviation standard....but again, who wildly accepts alcohol abuse, and were is it promoted and celebrated in our industry?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pool pilot said:

This would be a lawyers dream.

Dead passengers and a positive drug test.

Kiss your world good bye.....

who knows how the operators would do in the case of your pilot was STONED?

Even if they found a trace of it in the test you would be done.

As for alcohol it is 8 hrs from bottle to throttle and 24 if the drinking was excessive.

But this will make for an interesting thread..... and thanks for taking it away from covid.

It’s 12 hrs bottle to throttle now 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, simpleton said:

You just described societies flaws at large, not an aviation standard....but again, who wildly accepts alcohol abuse, and were is it promoted and celebrated in our industry?

Ok it’s not that is promoted or celebrated but more normalized. I have no issue with a drink or 2 in the evening after a hard days work but a lot of pilots will have a lot more than that on a regular basis.