Removal of drug testing (cannabis)

2 minutes ago, JRK38 said:

Ok it’s not that is promoted or celebrated but more normalized. I have no issue with a drink or 2 in the evening after a hard days work but a lot of pilots will have a lot more than that on a regular basis. 

Then call them out on it when you see it. It's not that hard.

Be part of the fix to the problem.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JRK38 said:

If you have to ask this question you have been working with your eyes closed! I hate to say it but I have seen numerous pilots that over indulged on some pops. I’ve seen people stay up all night drinking, people passing out with the lights on and clothes on getting up then jumping into the helicopter. Pilots drinking 10+ beer every night is excessive. Would you rather fly with someone who smoked weed last week or someone who drank 15 beer last night and is hungover!! Tell me who is the safer pilot! 

You have seen a hung over pilot get into a helicopter and you did nothing about it.....

Shame on you.

And if you have seen them stay up all night.... does that mean you are one of them?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pool pilot said:

You have seen a hung over pilot get into a helicopter and you did nothing about it.....

Shame on you.

And if you have seen them stay up all night.... does that mean you are one of them?

I did not specify if I did anything about it did I. In fact I have brought up to management before at places I’ve worked about excessive consumption of alcohol and guess what happens….. absolutely nothing! Also no I don’t stay up all night. I’m old, I can’t stay up past 10pm! 

Unfortunately this group is mostly made up of boomers with drinking problems, the same sort running transport. 

It comes down to better more accurate relevant testing in my opinion. 
Lingering thc in the bloodstream from 27 days prior or 2 days prior doesn’t constitute intoxication. 
Currently with booze it’s easier to draw a line. 
There’s more than enough unofficial information about the effects of thc days after it’s ingested, but unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be much official science.   
With our industry basically the only one being “policed” In this way I can’t imagine transport gives a shii enough to change anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, helipilot12 said:

Unfortunately this group is mostly made up of boomers with drinking problems, the same sort running transport. 

It comes down to better more accurate relevant testing in my opinion. 
Lingering thc in the bloodstream from 27 days prior or 2 days prior doesn’t constitute intoxication. 
Currently with booze it’s easier to draw a line. 
There’s more than enough unofficial information about the effects of thc days after it’s ingested, but unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be much official science.   
With our industry basically the only one being “policed” In this way I can’t imagine transport gives a shii enough to change anything. 

The reason it is 28 days, is because that is how long trace THC can be stored in body fat. Post death, such as after an accident, that THC can release and give a false positive when post-mortem testing is done.

It's not hard to guess the issues this can cause post accident. Whether you like it or not, this is the current reasoning for the 28-days rule.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BJP said:

And when you try do the responsible and professional thing...an AME at ORNGE

https://www.hrreporter.com/employment-law/news/employers-ban-on-medical-cannabis-discriminatory-arbitrator/363481

I bet that same lawyer would fight very hard for his client that was injured by you if any trace of any drugs were found in your blood test..... and I am sure he would quote zero tolerance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pool pilot said:

I bet that same lawyer would fight very hard for his client that was injured by you if any trace of any drugs were found in your blood test..... and I am sure he would quote zero tolerance. 

Absolutely agree with you Sir! That’s what Lawyers do! Law is black and white, but operated 99% of the time in the grey area. The point of this post, is to not agree with flying impaired, but that Law’s need to be updated with the modern times and information coming to light in these modern times.

Laws are created for the “lowest common denominator”. We all know not to drive thru a school zone like a mad-man. But Russell drives thru, mows down 4 kids, and hence, the 40 km/hr speed limit. Thanks Russell! I don’t use the term “Common Sense”, but logic.

Alcohol can be synonymous with Aviation. So can Isolation. So can depression. So can Ego. “Get-home-itis”. All are dangerous.

Driving a car when tired constitutes being impaired. Working 14 hr – 17 hr shifts, or Night Shifts (against the bodies natural rhythm),  of course there will be fatigue incurred. Therefore you are considered impaired.

Anti-depression pills aren’t ‘really’ allowed in Aviation either. But how many take those and don’t report it, out of fear of stigma or company retaliation. Take a harmless Gravol for an upset stomach, side-effects include drowsiness. IMPAIRED.

Laws cannot just be passed, but need to be updated with the times. Exposure to second-hand Marijuana smoke, smoked by your friend who has cancer, and now you have it in your system. Maybe, post-mortem, it is identified you had a heart-disease or cancer that you weren’t aware of. Now, you weren’t “Fit to fly”.

We’ve all heard of the “Dirty Dozen” in aviation. Time to rename it as a “Bakers Dozen” maybe? Logically, there are more factors to be included.

Back to the point here…Professional Logic derives if you are a safe pilot or not. Antiquated laws not updated, or put into effect without properly considering the ramifications will always leave you open to crucifixion.

Just stay as professional as we can possibly be. Fly safe!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1