Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Contrail’s Authority???

Full On

It would still come down to money, I don’t think every company is willing to pay to help a low timer if they have resumes of people with the magic hours already. Unfortunately still easier to hire an Oz/Kiwi than to help a low timer.

I agree with what you’re saying though, changing the system needs to happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, tipspeed said:

It would still come down to money, I don’t think every company is willing to pay to help a low timer if they have resumes of people with the magic hours already. Unfortunately still easier to hire an Oz/Kiwi than to help a low timer.

I agree with what you’re saying though, changing the system needs to happen.

True that..Money,money,money, but if a company took on 2-4 low timers a year and invested 15-20 hours of advanced/job specific training then the pilot shortage would soon disappear. Not that big of an investment. Maybe Contrail could inform  the customers of what is happening with the pilot shortage and they could do their part in easing this situation. We need to come up with a recipe to make this work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Full On said:

True that..Money,money,money, but if a company took on 2-4 low timers a year and invested 15-20 hours of advanced/job specific training then the pilot shortage would soon disappear. Not that big of an investment. Maybe Contrail could inform  the customers of what is happening with the pilot shortage and they could do their part in easing this situation. We need to come up with a recipe to make this work. 

Couldn’t agree more! 

• Thanks 1

I believe IMHO....  that we should turn to HAC..... this will help the operators in the end.

This really needs to happen sooner than later..... us old timers would be happy to mentor a low time pilot as..... we were.... true that a lot of our information came from a bar room listening to the stories of the old timers that are now on the remembrance wall....... things have changed and some of it is for the good..... and Contrail implementing these magic hour restrictions is not one of them.

In today's world.... the weather conditions can be in the toilet and a pilot can say.... "It isn't safe to go"..... and everyone stands down.... in our time it was...."If you can't do it we will get Kenny"... ( thanks Bob).... true story. 

So if HAC.... could show up and actually do some good for the industry..... this is it.

As for the operators and the money....they would rather keep the equipment working and not parked with no crew.

As for Contrail saying an aircraft is to old..... they should look at the age of some of the 212 aircraft they seem to love so much.

I have no idea who owns Contrail.... but my bet is..... it is NOT... a non profit group. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A consultant recommendation gives an insurer grounds to deny a claim. Bend a machine and have less than the arbitrary number of hours, no settlement coming. Insurers require a consultant, a company will stop using a consultant that cashes your cheque just to say everything is fine as is. As a result every year the recommended hours get nudged up higher. 

12 minutes ago, Twin Helix said:

A consultant recommendation gives an insurer grounds to deny a claim. Bend a machine and have less than the arbitrary number of hours, no settlement coming. Insurers require a consultant, a company will stop using a consultant that cashes your cheque just to say everything is fine as is. As a result every year the recommended hours get nudged up higher. 

Sounds like a load of BS..It needs to change. Non aviation people making up the rules is not right. We need consultants who are more in the know. lets get the facts out!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, tipspeed said:

Contrail has been in the picture for a while… 

Been a problem for a while too! 

what airframes are they not ok with?

I do recall hearing it was insurance driven by the customers. The hours are just a nice number vs what you get for a pilot. 

15 hours ago, Full On said:

It is definitely an imperfect system, which needs to be changed. The pilot shortage is going to only get worse. Especially when new duty times come into effect. Skill based restrictions are the best way to solve things. If companies where willing to put proficiency training up to a degree and amount where they can show these customers that a well trained and proficient low time pilot can do the job safely and efficiently. If it is all about these magic number of hours that a pilot needs to be safe then maybe some job specific training hours should be implemented and put into force to get low timers flying and getting more pilots into the job market. Instead of 1-3 hours of recurrent/ initial training maybe a job specific amount of 15-20 hours of training would open more doors for low timers. It’s either that or be ready to have un crewed helicopters parked and customers unable to get jobs done. 

Bell 204's for one.

2 hours ago, Pool pilot said:

I believe IMHO....  that we should turn to HAC..... this will help the operators in the end.

This really needs to happen sooner than later..... us old timers would be happy to mentor a low time pilot as..... we were.... true that a lot of our information came from a bar room listening to the stories of the old timers that are now on the remembrance wall....... things have changed and some of it is for the good..... and Contrail implementing these magic hour restrictions is not one of them.

In today's world.... the weather conditions can be in the toilet and a pilot can say.... "It isn't safe to go"..... and everyone stands down.... in our time it was...."If you can't do it we will get Kenny"... ( thanks Bob).... true story. 

So if HAC.... could show up and actually do some good for the industry..... this is it.

As for the operators and the money....they would rather keep the equipment working and not parked with no crew.

As for Contrail saying an aircraft is to old..... they should look at the age of some of the 212 aircraft they seem to love so much.

I have no idea who owns Contrail.... but my bet is..... it is NOT... a non profit group. 

HAC's goal is to keep working conditions #### and pay low. That is their only mission. HAC are clowns, never mention them again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2