Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Contrail’s Authority???

Full On

3 hours ago, Diaper_Pin said:

I'd be calling WestJet and AC to name a couple of comm airlines. If I were in your shoes. Not to mention US operators. They will be paying to train/poach new pilots in short order. Great pay, benefits with minimal BS. Not to mention the pension, year round work, etc.

Thought about it but I like the real flying of helicopters. Fixed wing is too much sitting and watching for me. Might end up there but would rather stick this heli stuff out for now 

7 minutes ago, Baillie said:

Thought about it but I like the real flying of helicopters. Fixed wing is too much sitting and watching for me. Might end up there but would rather stick this heli stuff out for now 

If someone has told you that there is NO sitting and watching your watch.... AT MINUS 15.... wondering how long those so and so's you call clients will make you wait... and you cannot start the machine to stay warm because you don't have the extra fuel because they brought a friend that has never been in a helicopter....  which you had to give up 225 Lbs of fuel to stay warm with..... because the client makes the decision....

They lied..... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Baillie said:

With the $ you'd be making in 5 years or so flying planks. You'll have more than enough $ to fly a heli at your leisure without all the BS.
Helicopters are a young man's game. 
 I know I'd choose option Plank, if I was 25 again. But hey, your call.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Baillie said:

Or here's one for you...  Walking a mile in the dark in the morning on snow so cold and dry it squeaks because the piece of k-rap truck you have to use won't start somewhere in the north, wind blowing, minus lots of degrees to warm up the machine for first light flights and hoping you could get a start out of a crappy battery and a machine with a fuel control that wasn't set up right.  Real flying, good grief you sound like young me, i wish i could go back and give me a slap.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm going to piss some people off saying this but here goes anyways.

Isn't this half the problem?

This is the same thing I hear from 80 percent of the operators I drop in on... "why did you waste 100k on flight school..." "why didn't you get a fixed wing license" "you have no idea how terrible this job is..." etc. 

And then everyone complains there is a pilot shortage after they discouraged everyone and in some cases (wont name the operator but I'm sure many low time people know who) even laughed at and insulted the pilots trying to find jobs.

I'm not saying that's what's happening here, I get there's some fun in complaining about work (especially after 20-30 plus years a lot of you guys have been doing this) and after a year of ground work in northern Alberta I agree that a lot of the job is sitting around in the bugs and the cold but seems everyone's advice is to find a different career instead of trying to make this one more accessible. 

Just my opinion and again I do know and appreciate that you guys have a better understanding of the industry and the job than I do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Baillie said:

This is the same thing I hear from 80 percent of the operators I drop in on... "why did you waste 100k on flight school..." "why didn't you get a fixed wing license" "you have no idea how terrible this job is..." etc. 

And then everyone complains there is a pilot shortage after they discouraged everyone and in some cases (wont name the operator but I'm sure many low time people know who) even laughed at and insulted the pilots trying to find jobs.

I'm not saying that's what's happening here, I get there's some fun in complaining about work (especially after 20-30 plus years a lot of you guys have been doing this) and after a year of ground work in northern Alberta I agree that a lot of the job is sitting around in the bugs and the cold but seems everyone's advice is to find a different career instead of trying to make this one more accessible. 

Just my opinion and again I do know and appreciate that you guys have a better understanding of the industry and the job than I do.

Baillie...slap!   ha ha ha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baillie said:

There are a number of reasons that us old guys are telling you to look else where...

1) we also did not listen to the old guys that questioned us.... WHY... so we are mostly upset with ourselves for not listening. 

2) I personally met a pilot flying for UPS.... he flies cargo..... he works 16 days a month..... and he is making 250k.... that was in 2014.

3) Most of us have suffered a divorce to be able to fly helicopters....(some were lucky and kept the marriage going... the 2 and 2 schedule is a good reason)..... the rest of us were never home.......because we chased the carrots also.

The another thing you need to understand about flying ....is.... it is...

Hours and hours of boredom..... interrupted by moments of sheer terror. 

The above is not complaints..... they are facts.

Do what you want.... but do it with your eyes open.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Pool pilot said:

There are a number of reasons that us old guys are telling you to look else where...

1) we also did not listen to the old guys that questioned us.... WHY... so we are mostly upset with ourselves for not listening. 

2) I personally met a pilot flying for UPS.... he flies cargo..... he works 16 days a month..... and he is making 250k.... that was in 2014.

3) Most of us have suffered a divorce to be able to fly helicopters....(some were lucky and kept the marriage going... the 2 and 2 schedule is a good reason)..... the rest of us were never home.......because we chased the carrots also.

The another thing you need to understand about flying ....is.... it is...

Hours and hours of boredom..... interrupted by moments of sheer terror. 

The above is not complaints..... they are facts.

Do what you want.... but do it with your eyes open.

Dem's the facts Jack. Don't say you weren't warned.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baillie said:

Keep at it. You will get there. 

There is nothing better than pulling up to the bar and telling chicks you fly helicopters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7