Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Where To Train, Us Or Canada?

Spartan99

Greetings! I know this has been discussed in a previous topic, but if anything i am now more confused. I was planning on training in Canada and doing the usual road trip etc to get my footin the door. However, looking at some schools in the states (Silverstate for one, thanks Skidz) it appears thier programs are more cost effective, better hours, better courses inculded ie CFI, NR, etc...Now i understand there are Visa concerns etc, but all aside, if a visa wasnt a problem, wouldnt it be better for one to train down south and get employed as a flight instructor out of school in order to build hours?...I know low timers dont work as flight instrustors up here, and getting that 1000hr mark might take a number of years on the optimistic side. Am i crazy or does the US route seem faster, more cost effective, easier to make hours and get employed? Would love to hear from people in the industry out there concerning Canada training vs US...Also aside the fact that i know the quality of training might not be on par with Canada's as you'd probably be trained by a low timer istead of a 2000-3000hr up here. But looking at the whole picture, Hours trained (around 200hrs in the US) (100hrs up here)...Cost...ease of employment. Ease of working up your hours, payscale working down south as opposed to up here?...Thank you all for your input in advance!... :blink:

Spartan99,

Who do you think would provide better training......another pilot right out of flight school, building up his hours on your dime, or an experienced flight instructor with operational time. Your choice of a low timer teaching you, is like the blind leading the blind! Think about that! My money is spent better elsewhere. Find a Cdn school with a class one or two instructor, get his resume and background and go from there!

Spartan99,

Who do you think would provide better training......another pilot right out of flight school, building up his hours on your dime, or an experienced flight instructor with operational time. Your choice of a low timer teaching you, is like the blind leading the blind! Think about that! My money is spent better elsewhere. Find a Cdn school with a class one or two instructor, get his resume and background and go from there!

I completely agree with that...However, lets assume im trained by a much more experienced flight instructor in Canada, granted my training would be superior but if im unable to fly for a number of years, wouldnt my skills be very rusty when that time comes? As opposed to getting say not so great training and being able to fly right out of school and get first hand experience and employment right away? Just playing devils advocate...Let me know what you think...Thanks for your input!

Guest jesse

I was trained by a high time experienced instructor it was great, but after a year and a half and still no heli job in sight, i would take the chance to do it again and get 200 hours and a job instructing in a second. So what if these guys dont approve Spartan99 they wont be the ones playing flight sim on the computer after spending 45g's on training from a 6000 hour pilot and not getting a job because you only have 100 hours. So what if it is the blind leading the blind at least you will be flying and building hours.

Be careful with Silverstate. I've read on other forums that once you get your CFI, you have to recruit your own students. It's almost like a pyramid scam...  :down:

Definately something worthy of investigation...Any other schools out there you can think of offhand Skidz that offer a similar situation of training then instructing, minus the getting your own students part? Thanks for your input Jess, our minds think alike as that was my impression of the industry north vs south. I just needed some pro's and con's of both...Thanks all for the input, your experience is priceless...

There are no easy answers, or 'instant jobs' as per say when you get out of flight school with a shiny new CPL. Unless you have your own A/C.

Do alot of research and find the right place for you, this may mean that it is close to where you live now and don't have to go out and rent a place, and you can keep your current job. Some schools need bulk students to make them pay, others provide quality service. There are good schools thoughout Canada. If Canada is where you want to work, put your immediate interests here! This is the time to start your own 'networking!'

Realize there are alot of 100 hr CPL persons out there already looking for work, KEEP THIS IN MIND. Employment is very limited! with your newly paid skills. It not that the industry dosen't want you or need you, its a fact that experience counts!!!

Back to your original question, if your heart desires you to go to the states, go there, I think you will find employment diffucult there as here in Canada. If you only have 100 hours on your license, good luck with a L1B work visa!

Guest jesse
There are no easy answers, or 'instant jobs' as per say when you get out of flight school with a shiny new CPL. Unless you have your own A/C.

Dont you need at least 500 hours to get an operating certificate from transport even if you had your own helicopter?

Spartan -------whichever way you go, get any promises IN WRITING first. People will promise you a lot in this business, but many times when you ask for same on a signed printed page, it's "abba, abba, abba.....well ya see we can't............because the government, etc., etc". If it's all done only by "word" or "trust"......you'll one day be sorrrrrrry............and that's the same BOTH sides of the 49th. I've worked both sides of that border so I know of what I speak.

It's actually a J-1 Visa, and for flight training it is not that hard to come by. The road to a job is also not too hard if you go the full way (IFR and instructor).

This route is not at all that stupid ,since you could easily get up to 1400 hours in your 2 years in the states if you work hard at it. And I know several people who have done it that way.

I would however stear clear of Silverstate! Vortex, Hillsboro, HAI are better choices.

Cheers