Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Entering my 33rd season of flying...thought I had seen it all...

11 hours ago, CM119 said:

🇺🇸….. I haven’t seen green grass in Canada in years.  Look at the pay scale down there compared to here for just an A&P, and they get paid hourly.  You talk day rates down there they look at you like you have a third arm.

Yes hence why I was asking where he worked?!

The original poster stated that “Companies are and will be parking  aircraft because they just cannot find experienced vaccinated pilots.”

A few pages down the conversation has shifted to no work, low income & companies closing doors. So are some parts of the country booming & other areas quiet, or does it depend which sector of the industry your work comes from?

4 hours ago, Heliduck said:

The original poster stated that “Companies are and will be parking  aircraft because they just cannot find experienced vaccinated pilots.”

A few pages down the conversation has shifted to no work, low income & companies closing doors. So are some parts of the country booming & other areas quiet, or does it depend which sector of the industry your work comes from?

A bit of both, parked machines won’t be solely due to lack of personnel, it’s also because of a lack of work which drives the lack of personnel (pilots and ames alike).  There’s too many helicopters in Canada and I don’t see wages significantly increasing anywhere.  Some larger  very old companies (Canada and USA)  seized at the chance to get out while government subsidies were on the table from the pandemic.  These decisions wouldn’t have been made lightly as their accountants and business managers would have likely seen a once in a lifetime opportunity for owners to make a choice, carry on down this path or cash in your chips while you still have some.  I was actually surprised at some of the names of companies that closed up shop tbh.

Plus some companies don't want to move away from their archaic work schedules so they can only attract a certain breed of pilot. Once you've done the even time off time on tours it's hard to fathom doing anything different. I'd quit too if I had to go back doing that.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shakey said:

Plus some companies don't want to move away from their archaic work schedules so they can only attract a certain breed of pilot. Once you've done the even time off time on tours it's hard to fathom doing anything different. I'd quit too if I had to go back doing that.  

4 and 2 let’s go! Helisexuals!   ASSEMBLEEEEEEE! Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Wow, posting ads in BS

Says something about Horizon I guess...

I wouldn’t single just one company out for that.  Lots of companies in Canada  hire foreign non immigrant pilots seasonally from what I’ve seen.  I’m sure there are lots of loopholes for essential crew and emergency services that can applied for under certain visas for said pilots.  Either way follow the bottom line figure for each pilot and I’m  sure you’ll have your answer as to why this phenomina seems to prevail in Canada every year, no wonder wages are so stagnant.