Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Entering my 33rd season of flying...thought I had seen it all...

2 hours ago, DGP said:

Just about as good as US pilots that can build time... ie with 100 hrs they can get a job as an instructor to build time...what up with that sh#t! You can't do that here in Canucastan!

Hi DGP. Correct me if I'm wrong but there are plenty of low time instructors straight out of flight school in Canada.  I believe you only need 250 hrs. Plenty of blind leading the blind up here too!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, theblade said:

Hi DGP. Correct me if I'm wrong but there are plenty of low time instructors straight out of flight school in Canada.  I believe you only need 250 hrs. Plenty of blind leading the blind up here too!

I have been flying since 1990 and NEVER have i been instructed or assessed by someone who had 250 hours (maybe fixed wing?), in fact i have never flown with someone who was teaching or evaluating me that had less hours than me though too many i flew with had little "Richards".  But... like i said before that was made up for by some really good teachers/mentors.  My least favorite would be...   now there's a can of worms!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did 407 endorsement and 4 recurrents at Bell in Texas...best training I ever got...most of them had way over 10,000 hrs...most were ex Nam guys...not one 100hr wonder! Go figure! And I never trained with any Canuks with less than 5,000 hrs...not 250!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theblade said:

You are correct. But it's 250 PIC. I assume most have around 500TT when they get their instructor rating in Canada. 

26 minutes ago, BJP said:

You are correct. But it's 250 PIC. I assume most have around 500TT when they get their instructor rating in Canada. 

Instructing....hmmmmm, thinking, thinking.   Maybe since i have the requisite 250 hours pic, instead of being a sucker i could reel them in instead?  Now why didn't i have that stroke of genius 30 years ago?  (face palm + SMH)  LOL if i may?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whitestone said:

Instructing....hmmmmm, thinking, thinking.   Maybe since i have the requisite 250 hours pic, instead of being a sucker i could reel them in instead?  Now why didn't i have that stroke of genius 30 years ago?  (face palm + SMH)  LOL if i may?

Either way..... the customers are trying to kill you..... they just don't know it..... but...  as an instructor....  you should be expecting it every time you go flying...

And...  if we all go back far enough..... that was us trying to kill the instructors. 

Roflmao

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, BJP said:

There’s a difference between the minimums required for instructing & what the industry will accept. Canada has some of the best training in the world because most of the flying schools have a culture of employing highly experienced pilots, regardless of the TC minimums. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trudashian said:

I think you missed a zero when you were assuming.

There are flight schools in Canada with some lower time instructors but usually they’re accompanied with a compliment of extremely high time pilots / instructors.  I don’t think many instructors are below 1000hrs pic 

21 hours ago, DGP said:

You want to slide south of the border to work you need an faa ticket which reguires you to have an ifr ticket...correct me if I am wrong. Back in the day when I had 100 hrs I tried to go to Aussie land...was told to bugger off!

That’s why mostly higher time guys from CA go there, because they’re in demand. Their low timers come here and to build time and leave mostly, what they’re paid is only anyones guess.