Why didn't I listen...

1 hour ago, DGP said:

OK...back to the leaky freewheel...I pull the driveshaft out of this 206...the oil from the freewheel has leaked into the driveshaft and filled both ends with engine oil...I open one end cap and pour a sh#t pile of oil out of this shaft...call up for a new driveshaft...it looked okay but it was going for o/h.

Not buying that one

So you never worked on the old style 206 freewheels...they had a plug cap in the front adapter and the drive shaft couplings had small holes drilled in both end caps...if it leaks past the adapter it will make a big mess and leak into the driveshafts from the engine side.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Macca said:

If a 206 didn't leak, I'd be worried.

Canadian in Terrace had a 206 in the late 90s that had ALL the original drain tubes on the engine.....I did not know there was so many from the factory..........never seen it before and have never seen it since. 

• Like 2

Bell went thru a lot of different seals before they found ones that work...they all came in different colours...black,red, green,white...the good ones now are orange...and an original 206 had so many drain lines it was unreal...I guess they had little faith in them not leaking.

Not sure if I told you the one about the Canadian Forces pilot that asked me to have a look in his 206 engine bay when I was in TBay...I could not believe the oily mess in that engine bay...but...I sprayed it clean and told him to run it up while I had a look...hardly a drop from anywhere...he was not sure he would make it to his next stop...I checked his oil levels and told him to keep on truckin!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wcobra said:

That was likely 1990.  I seem to remember in July or August 1989 crewing a Bell 204 with you on a fire out of Stewart Lake NWT.  One night/morning at stupid o'clock coming back to the tent for some sleep and you were sitting on your a cot wide awake with an axe in your hands due to a good ol black bear rooting around your side of the tent!  Same bear was watching me do the Tailrotor Pitch Control Chain Inspection from 20 feet away a couple of hours earlier.  There's more to that story but you just can't get paid enough for experiences like that can you? 😂

Yeah, I vaguely remember something like that.

I was on RGA, a 204 all summer in 89 floating up and down the McKenzie on NWT fires, and in 90 I was on 204 VEX, in Inuvik, doing the North Warning System decommissioning,, 212 AHD, in Ab. on fires, and then again on VEX I did the great Canadian Race from Inuvik to Geraldton for fires all of Aug.

It was from May to end of July 1991, we were on the powerline, an interesting note, I logged 4 days where I flew more than 11 hours in a single day. Then I ended the summer on a 212 HVH, once again doing the Great Can. Race from Ft. Smith to Dryden for all of Aug. We got half way home to Saskatoon, was told to turn around and head to Toronto, where we spent the next  few weeks on standby to fly mail, during the mail carriers postal strike.

Crazy times, I was current on 4 aircraft types, and expected to fly anyone of them at the drop of a hat, on pretty much any job, anywhere, for as long as it took.

No wonder planks looked so good!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pool pilot said:

Canadian in Terrace had a 206 in the late 90s that had ALL the original drain tubes on the engine.....I did not know there was so many from the factory..........never seen it before and have never seen it since. 

That's because the Engineer in Terrace at that time was an incredibly detail oriented, conscientious, knowledgeable guy!  All his machines were meticulously maintained 🙂.