Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Why didn't I listen...

4 minutes ago, wcobra said:

That's because the Engineer in Terrace at that time was an incredibly detail oriented, conscientious, knowledgeable guy!  All his machines were meticulously maintained 🙂.

Was that Darcy?...  I remember him as a great guy and like you said..... details mattered to him.

I was heli logging in the area when I saw it.

6 hours ago, DGP said:

So you never worked on the old style 206 freewheels...they had a plug cap in the front adapter and the drive shaft couplings had small holes drilled in both end caps...if it leaks past the adapter it will make a big mess and leak into the driveshafts from the engine side.

Yeah I have.  Just don’t remember the FWU being filled with engine oil.   Plugs still exist.  End caps have holes to prevent vapor lock in shaft itself. 

3 hours ago, Pool pilot said:

Was that Darcy?...  I remember him as a great guy and like you said..... details mattered to him.

I was heli logging in the area when I saw it.

Bill Adams was the original AME off the base. Very meticulous.

7 minutes ago, ray said:

Bill Adams was the original AME off the base. Very meticulous.

Yes...  I remember Bill ...  him and Dave had the machine since new..... Bill was going to retire when I was there..... I believe the guy who took over the ame job was Darcy.... but that could be wrong. 

32 minutes ago, Trudashian said:

I for one as a fairly low hour guy have found the journey quite enjoyable. My biggest complaint would be the vindictive peers who try to destroy your advancement. Most of the guys telling stories here would be lying if they didn't love it mostly. Can you tell these stories if you worked a desk job?

FYI ...  my story about the west coast heli logging job..... still haunts me today..... and lots of us get the desk job as D.OM......CP.... OPS ..... so yup....we can do the desk job..... and tell you low timers not to do the same..... sh*t..... but.... will you listen is the big question. 

My bet is you will listen with the look.... "I wouldn't do anything that stupid"..... but.... you will do it..... before you finally HEAR what we told you.

12 minutes ago, Pool pilot said:

FYI ...  my story about the west coast heli logging job..... still haunts me today..... and lots of us get the desk job as D.OM......CP.... OPS ..... so yup....we can do the desk job..... and tell you low timers not to do the same..... sh*t..... but.... will you listen is the big question. 

My bet is you will listen with the look.... "I wouldn't do anything that stupid"..... but.... you will do it..... before you finally HEAR what we told you.

I get it but give me a break. Would you not do it all again? And if not what would you have done? We are adrenaline types even to explore this career. I'd have been a Dentist myself. Can't get enough of them dentist stories at a party.

9 minutes ago, Trudashian said:

I get it but give me a break. Would you not do it all again? And if not what would you have done? We are adrenaline types even to explore this career. I'd have been a Dentist myself. Can't get enough of them dentist stories at a party.

As you pointed out.... there is some back stabbing ..... but the people that are nasty are the ones to stay clear of..... yes.... I love the flying..... but would I do it again..... with the knowledge I have today..... most likely..... there are a few things I would change....  I would learn to say no to the customer....way sooner than I did.....  I would go after the 2 & 2 shift sooner.....

And hind sight being 20/20 vision..... I should have not sold my company to go flying..... I should have just bought a 206 for private use ..... they were cheap in the 80s.

Hope that answers your questions.

• Like 3