Why didn't I listen...

3 hours ago, Pool pilot said:

Yes...  I remember Bill ...  him and Dave had the machine since new..... Bill was going to retire when I was there..... I believe the guy who took over the ame job was Darcy.... but that could be wrong. 

Yes, that's correct.  Bill and Darcy were awesome Engineers!  I suspect Darcy learned a ton from Bill and carried on with the same habits.

• Like 1

Some of my worst experiences in this business was listening to Pilots/ Engineers who just complain about the industry or the company that they work for. The flying is amazing the BS In the industry is what really sucks, the negativity is stifling. Pilots/Engineers get into the business because they WANT to. I heard a lot of whiners in my time and always wondered what the **** are you doing here if it is that bad? It is not all roses  but neither are a lot of jobs. When things are good it is nothin but fun, when things are tough suck it up and carry on things can only get better. I’ve been at over 40 years and I can’t think of anything else I would rather do then fly a helicopter. To the aspiring low time guys don’t let this thread discourage what you WANT to do. Let the whiners whine and pursue your dreams. This thread is stupid we need one where everyone points out the good times and try to be positive. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, Full On said:

My idea of a good time in a helicopter would have to be flying a Bell 204 with a -13 engine 2.5 hours of fuel on board an uncinched 270 gallon bucket and a close water source. “Nothin but fun”

That and doing Auto’s with 10-15kts of wind in an R44 or a Jetbuggy!

12 hours ago, Trudashian said:

I for one as a fairly low hour guy have found the journey quite enjoyable. My biggest complaint would be the vindictive peers who try to destroy your advancement. Most of the guys telling stories here would be lying if they didn't love it mostly. Can you tell these stories if you worked a desk job?

Let’s talk in 15 years lol and yes it can be a cutthroat environment for sure.  I would hope most operators don’t tolerate that anymore but it does exist in this racket.

On 2/22/2022 at 2:25 PM, cjg said:

If you don’t mind giving up your labour rights…go for it! Some members of HAC believe that paying overtime is just silly!! Time off?? Lol…come on now! Shhh…..Just go to work young fella!! 

I think this is the only industry besides farming that pays a day rate where every work day is over 8 hours.  If not a day rate it’s hours of averaging which just plain sucks.  I’d love to see operators pay hourly personally, you know, like any other career on the planet does lol 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Full On said:

Some of my worst experiences in this business was listening to Pilots/ Engineers who just complain about the industry or the company that they work for. The flying is amazing the BS In the industry is what really sucks, the negativity is stifling. Pilots/Engineers get into the business because they WANT to. I heard a lot of whiners in my time and always wondered what the **** are you doing here if it is that bad? It is not all roses  but neither are a lot of jobs. When things are good it is nothin but fun, when things are tough suck it up and carry on things can only get better. I’ve been at over 40 years and I can’t think of anything else I would rather do then fly a helicopter. To the aspiring low time guys don’t let this thread discourage what you WANT to do. Let the whiners whine and pursue your dreams. This thread is stupid we need one where everyone points out the good times and try to be positive. 

Don’t forget the schedule, benefits and pay! 😂

8 hours ago, Pool pilot said:

Then start one..... because there is always two sides to every story 

Yeah. Sorry about that that “stupid thread comment “ I guess every post is worthy in its own way. I just don’t like to dwell on the negative is all