Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Why didn't I listen...

On 3/4/2022 at 9:04 PM, Billy Hill said:

So there I was watching a storm outside from the comfort of inside the nice warm hangar. I had told my wife I wasn’t flying till the afternoon, it was forecasted to be calm by said time. The boss comes in and human factors me in a despicable fashion to push out and head to site. He was required to be apart of the days flight for sign off purposes for our client. We go flying and dramatically end up upside down in a forest. Jet fuel pouring on me with an engine still running kind of thing, leg trapped and can’t get it out. Ughhh I still relieve that day while in the shower, every single shower I’ve taken since.

Life has consequences beyond our wildest imaginations sometimes. When 💩 hits the fan it happens fast. Take all the training you receive with dedication and 100% effort. Wear your shoulder harness and helmet for every single flight. Stand up for yourself when you have a bad gut feeling. It’s a fine line between assertive and aggressive but crossing that line is okay sometimes if you feel it’s right. I love what I do and I don’t think I’d be any happier doing anything else for a living. What a job it is and I love the home life it affords you and your family (pool pilot not quite the same as a base guy)!

thanks for listening. 

To be fair the only thing I have really disliked about this industry is the Psychopath owners and management.

22 hours ago, DGP said:

So...before I even got up from my chair yelling...What the f##K...I hear the 205 fire up...I run over to the window and the blades are spinning on the 205...its a bit of a hike to the pad but I sprint out of there at top speed running to the helipad in time to see the 205 lifting off in a cloud of dust...it gets about 1000 yards away climbing over some 60 ft spruce trees when there is a huge explosion and a huge black cloud coming out of the tail pipe of the 205 engine and she goes down in a line of huge trees....I am yelling at guys to get a hoseline down the road to the crash site as I am at top speed running down the road to were it has gone in....to be continued!!!!

So...I get to the crash site...ship is in bad shape...m/r blades are broken in several pieces...ship luckily took down some of the big trees and they cushioned the fall...the co-pilots door is ripped right off...both guys are sitting in the front not moving...the engine is snapping from the heat and smoking pretty good...the fire crew guys show up with a water hose and I get them to spray down the engine...real strong smell of jet fuel as the ship had just refueled and the tanks have been ripped open...one tree had gone up through the **** hole and came out were the hydraulic servos are located and continued up through the roof... to be continued.

So ...I got to get these guys out of the ship...not sure if they have broken parts...I climb up the pilot side...open the door...Terry is starting to come around...I ask if he can move which he says...I think so...I help him out and get some fire crew guys to get him away from here and I run over to the copilot side...the DNR guy is a good friend of mine...I have known him and flown him around for years...luckily he seems to be ok and I unbuckle him and help him out and get some guys to get him away as well. The ship is sitting tail low with the nose about 7 ft off the ground with the nose at about 20 degrees up...skid gear is busted off in the rear and probably what has caused the fuel leak...I climb in the drivers seat and shut the battery off...time to get away from her until that engine is cold!