CEP in combination with A20 or Zulu H mod

Feedly

Hello,

I am currently thinking about upgrading my helmet (Gallet 250 + CEP) with a Bose A20 or a Lightspeed Zulu H mod. 

Does anybody have experience with combining a CEP and one of those two ANR systems?

Is it worth it? Any problems by doing so? What about the installation, anybody tried to do it himself / herself?

Thanks and fly safe.

• 1 month later...

I can't imagine needing CEPs AND ANR. The CEPs are really quiet, if you can get used to them. I had molded earplugs for years and didn't mind them (recently lost), but they are a pain to take on and off, sometimes they fall out of your ears or the speaker comes out of the insert. I've been wearing the CEPs with the foamy ear plugs lately and while quiet, they get uncomfortable after about 2 hours of flying. I'll go ANR on my next helmet. My buddy cannibalized some A20s for his helmet and loves them. Very slick set up. 

i have the zulu mod for my hgu 56, i enjoy it for the most part, i do find sometimes i just prefer the passive noise reduction the helmet provides.

ive been thinking about trying to put in just some foam ear plugs to try to reduce some of the back ground noise 

thought about the cep kit too but havent looked to far into it 

• 2 months later...
On 4/23/2022 at 2:01 PM, Bladestrike said:

I can't imagine needing CEPs AND ANR. The CEPs are really quiet, if you can get used to them. I had molded earplugs for years and didn't mind them (recently lost), but they are a pain to take on and off, sometimes they fall out of your ears or the speaker comes out of the insert. I've been wearing the CEPs with the foamy ear plugs lately and while quiet, they get uncomfortable after about 2 hours of flying. I'll go ANR on my next helmet. My buddy cannibalized some A20s for his helmet and loves them. Very slick set up. 

do you have any pictures from the installation you are willing to share?

I fly with the Bose A20 mod and foam ear-plugs under that.  The passive attenuation is poor in the A20.

I've heard that the Zulu install in my Gallet 250 can result in a lot of side pressure from the big foam cups, so that's why I went with the A20 unit.

One issue I've had is that if the aircraft ICS vol is high, it sometimes kicks into this wicked loud feedback sound that blows out all the intercoms.  Kinda like when someone at a concert unplugs something and it's ungrounded.  I thought it was a microphone, changed that several times.  Maybe it's unique to the A139 I fly, who knows...  It took me longer than I care to admit to figure out that reducing the ICS cuts out the sound (from say 85% to 75%)

I appreciate that wearing the ear-plugs causes me to raise the ICS vol but it's worth it.

The bluetooth integration is worth the price of admission alone. 

O.