Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

French Gendarmerie Helicopter in Chamonix Rescues Skier

J31

Hi guys. As an experienced fix wing pilot with no helicopter experience and I marvel at the skill displayed in this mountain extraction of an injured skier. 

I do wonder about the risk level of the toe in maneuver to a snow-covered mountain side. The main rotor seems very close to the snow coved mountain side leaving very little margin for error. 

Is this an acceptable risk on a helicopter with a winch?

If you search "Mountain Rescue" on YouTube there was a series from a few years ago that follows this crew and their partners in "Securitie Civile" that conduct mountain rescue operations in the Alps. The show itself is in english and french dialogue is subtitled. Very experienced pilots and crews in tough situations.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DGP said:

My first question is what in the he$$ were these idiots doing skiing on the side of this mountain....doesn't look too safe to begin with and the second question ...will that be cash or credit card!!!!

Spoiled idiots.... and here is daddy's credit card.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would be interested in hearing the thoughts of any of the gang who fly for Parks Canada in BC and Alberta... Alpine, Yellowhead, Blackcomb, Arrow... and any other of the players who do this stuff.... I have read 2 books lately, "Guardians of the Peaks" and "Vertical Reference"... the latter is a biography of Jim Davies.... my hat off to all of you.... 👍😎

• Like 2

On 2/26/2022 at 8:44 AM, DGP said:

Not his first day on the job...very nice ...definitely some pucker factor happening there!!!

Now that's flying a Helicopter like a Helicopter!!! Steady hands and knowing the dimensions, not just the limitations of the machine. Slope landings of 10 degrees or less...pffftttt!

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 3:43 PM, twinstar_ca said:

I would be interested in hearing the thoughts of any of the gang who fly for Parks Canada in BC and Alberta... Alpine, Yellowhead, Blackcomb, Arrow... and any other of the players who do this stuff.... I have read 2 books lately, "Guardians of the Peaks" and "Vertical Reference"... the latter is a biography of Jim Davies.... my hat off to all of you.... 👍😎

I worked with a Jim Davies at Klondike/Kenting...is that the same guy?