Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helo Employment Prospects In Western Canada

Guys,

Apologies for asking yet more questions of this type and potentially for being yet another immigrant asking about jobs!

I was wondering what the employment prospects are for a Brit ex-Mil helo pilot with about 2000 hrs Rotary (all turbine, approx 700 Gazelle, 700 Lynx and the rest Apache) in Western Canada, particularly BC. No long line / serious underslung experience. Currently 38 years old although unlikely to be in CA for a couple of years. Got a UK ATPL(A) and (H) and a Canadian CPL(H).

Ideally summer only contract work for a few months at a time (I'm planning on living on the snow/pension in the winter!). The plan is to apply for immigration and come as a skilled worked (I have the points at the moment so fingers crossed) and I know it may take upwards of 2 years.

Before anyone asks...

- I'm aware I don't have experience in many specific skills or on common types.

- I know I don't know anything about the industry and so am relatively expecting to start close to the bottom.

- I know how to work hard, keep my promises and am 100% reliable.

- Happy to work almost anywhere and under almost any conditions on short contract although I want to leave my family in the Okanagan Valley.

- The plan isn't to come and steal anyone's job. I just love the country and want to move there with family for the long term.

What is the work situation like? Will I get work? Will I need to invest heavily in types/mountain/long line skills before being considered? If work is available does it tend to last the whole summer? Are shorter contracts available? What is pay like?

Guys, I know there are a lot of questions here but I am hoping that any info you might be kind enough to provide might help me decide whether this is a viable plan. I'm sure there are folks out there with the knowledge and experience to shine some light for me. Info/views etc from any ex-Brit mil aircrew mates especially welcome!

Thanks in anticipation.

PP

The mountain course is pretty loosely defined, so you might find your military one will count - there have been enough brit mil pilots through who have demonstrated that to the BC Forestry guys for it to be easier for you (myself included).

These days the companies will be ticking boxes, so if you have that and a couple of thousand hours, you should be in the ball park. I would use the time between now and when you're ready to make contacts and network, and get the 206/L and AS 350 on your licence (Gazelle time is looked on favourably for the latter), and get your licence, of course.

PM me for details about study material, and getting 206 on your UK licence (I'm a TRE).

Once you've applied for immigration in your chosen country of origin (I assume UK), you can often short cut things by turning up in Canada as a visitor and show them the file number you were issued there. I wouldn't bring the family at that stage, but it often works.

Good luck - it's one of the best parts of the industry to work in.

Phil

Guys,

Apologies for asking yet more questions of this type and potentially for being yet another immigrant asking about jobs!

I was wondering what the employment prospects are for a Brit ex-Mil helo pilot with about 2000 hrs Rotary (all turbine, approx 700 Gazelle, 700 Lynx and the rest Apache) in Western Canada, particularly BC.  No long line / serious underslung experience.  Currently 38 years old although unlikely to be in CA for a couple of years.  Got a UK ATPL(A) and (H) and a Canadian CPL(H).

Ideally summer only contract work for a few months at a time (I'm planning on living on the snow/pension in the winter!).  The plan is to apply for immigration and come as a skilled worked (I have the points at the moment so fingers crossed) and I know it may take upwards of 2 years.

Before anyone asks...

-  I'm aware I don't have experience in many specific skills or on common types.

-  I know I don't know anything about the industry and so am relatively expecting to start close to the bottom.

-  I know how to work hard, keep my promises and am 100% reliable.

-  Happy to work almost anywhere and under almost any conditions on short contract although I want to leave my family in the Okanagan Valley.

-  The plan isn't to come and steal anyone's job.  I just love the country and want to move there with family for the long term.

What is the work situation like?  Will I get work?  Will I need to invest heavily in types/mountain/long line skills before being considered?  If work is available does it tend to last the whole summer?  Are shorter contracts available?  What is pay like?

Guys, I know there are a lot of questions here but I am hoping that any info you might be kind enough to provide might help me decide whether this is a viable plan.  I'm sure there are folks out there with the knowledge and experience to shine some light for me.  Info/views etc from any ex-Brit mil aircrew mates especially welcome!

Thanks in anticipation.

PP

If money is not an immediate issue then contact Transwest, East West or Black Tusk and see if you can spend a few monthes as a logging co-pilot. It isn't a real flying job but it will get you exposed to the industry and you will work with some captains who know a bit about the industry and can answer a lot of questions and maybe steer you in the right direction for a good flying job. They fly the Bell 214B and are all professionals.

PoorPongo; You are the first army type I've heard refer to himself as a "pongo". The pongo's over hear take offence, maybe that was because I was with the RCNAS, also known as the senior service.

Pay attention to "Albert Ross", it's actually an alias, he's been there, done that and can give you a country man's outlook.

Cheers and welcome aboard, Don

If money is not an immediate issue then contact Transwest, East West or Black Tusk and see if you can spend a few monthes as a logging co-pilot.

The guys got 2000 hours for #$%@ sakes why would he want to be seat meat in a 214B when he could have a real job. This industry isnt that much of a mystery.

:blink: