Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Chopper Crash Terrace, Bc

I am totally blown away that the aircraft was in an accident and the t/r g/b was not ndt'd and o/h!!!

This is from a reliable source. I think that it needed a little more than just a paint job. Apparently there are 3 types of inspections to deal with sudden stoppage. Only a level 2 inspection was done because in the original accident last year the T/R didn't hit anything. I think that a level 3 is where you scrap it all together. This A/c was originally owned by Turbowest of Calgary. Whose to say that there wasn't a lack of maintenance because the company was in finicial dificulties and maybe there might have been an incident there too where the necessary maintance wasn't performed. Just because the A/c lost a compressor and dropped to the ground and fell on its side, I would think that the M/R system took a licking which may certainly have affected the intregrety of the other rotating components. I was there in calgary when the machine was being loaded into a trailer. It didn't even have an engine. it was in bad shape in dire need of some tlc! The guys that ran Turbowest into the ground took advantage of the owner even though he had cancer. They were selling off the assets out the back door. When the banks and the sherrifs came the company was an empty shell.

Also this is not the first time that a 500 has lost a gear tooth in the T/R gear box. I know of 2 other instances. I think that there some bogus military parts floating around at the time if my recolection serves me right.

HELLO ALL AND THANKS TO ALL THE CREW THAT ARE SUPPORTING PHILL & THE COMPANY WITH A POSITIVE ATTITUDE!

THE 500 WAS JUST RETURNED FROM A REBUILD AFTER IT HAD A COMPRESSOR FAILURE BUT THE ODD THING IS THE AUTHORITIES (TC) DID NOT REQUIRE THE TAILROTOR TO BE OPENED UP AFTER THAT ACCIDENT FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND.

THE 500 IN 2004 FAILED ON TOP OF A 100' LINE LIFTING A LOAD & IT WENT STRAIGHT DOWN LANDING ON ITS SKIDS BUT THE ONE SIDE FAILED & FELL ON ITS SIDE, THUS REQUIRING A NEW PAINT JOB OF SOME SORTS.

SO, I WAS SUPPOSE TO GO DO THAT DRILL MOVE THAT DAY, BUT I WAS TIMED OUT SO WE CALLED PHILL TO THE RESCUE & THE PASSENGER THAT WAS BEING PICKED UP DID SAY HE WAS JUST TOWING IN & ALL OF A SUDDEN THE BACK END DROPPED & STARTED TO SPIN.

THE OIL IN THE T/G/B WAS MAKING SLUDGE WHEN THE DRIVER PICKED IT UP & TOOK A CRAZY AMOUNT OF TIME TO STROBE. HE ALSO HEARD THE ENG. SAY IF ITS STILL MAKING SLUDGE WE WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE BOX.

IM NOT TRYING TO SAY ANYONE DID ANYTHING WRONG, I WOULD JUST LIKE TO LEARN FROM IT & DO MY PART TO MAKE SURE IT DOESNT HAPPEN AGAIN.

AS FOR QUANTUM THEY ARE JUST A COUPLE OF HONEST GUYS TRYING TO MAKE A LIVING & PHILL IS PART OF OUR TEAM, A VERY FUNNY & POSITIVE PERSON TO HAVE AROUND & LOOKING FORWARD TO HAVING HIM BACK.

PHILL HAS ALSO BEEN UPGRADED TO THE BURN UNIT , AND THATS VERY EXCITING.

:up:

By the way, to change the t/r gear box is not a TC requirement. Talk to an engineer. The maintenance manual tells all what to do when something happens that is out of the norm.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HELLO ALL AND THANKS TO ALL THE CREW THAT ARE SUPPORTING PHILL & THE COMPANY WITH A POSITIVE ATTITUDE!

THE 500 WAS JUST RETURNED FROM A REBUILD AFTER IT HAD A COMPRESSOR FAILURE BUT THE ODD THING IS THE AUTHORITIES (TC) DID NOT REQUIRE THE TAILROTOR TO BE OPENED UP AFTER THAT ACCIDENT FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND.

THE 500 IN 2004 FAILED ON TOP OF A 100' LINE LIFTING A LOAD & IT WENT STRAIGHT DOWN LANDING ON ITS SKIDS BUT THE ONE SIDE FAILED & FELL ON ITS SIDE, THUS REQUIRING A NEW PAINT JOB OF SOME SORTS.

SO, I WAS SUPPOSE TO GO DO THAT DRILL MOVE THAT DAY, BUT I WAS TIMED OUT SO WE CALLED PHILL TO THE RESCUE & THE PASSENGER THAT WAS BEING PICKED UP DID SAY HE WAS JUST TOWING IN & ALL OF A SUDDEN THE BACK END DROPPED & STARTED TO SPIN.

THE OIL IN THE T/G/B WAS MAKING SLUDGE WHEN THE DRIVER PICKED IT UP & TOOK A CRAZY AMOUNT OF TIME TO STROBE. HE ALSO HEARD THE ENG. SAY IF ITS STILL MAKING SLUDGE WE WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE BOX.

IM NOT TRYING TO SAY ANYONE DID ANYTHING WRONG, I WOULD JUST LIKE TO LEARN FROM IT & DO MY PART TO MAKE SURE IT DOESNT HAPPEN AGAIN.

AS FOR QUANTUM THEY ARE JUST A COUPLE OF HONEST GUYS TRYING TO MAKE A LIVING & PHILL IS PART OF OUR TEAM, A VERY FUNNY & POSITIVE PERSON TO HAVE AROUND & LOOKING FORWARD TO HAVING HIM BACK.

PHILL HAS ALSO BEEN UPGRADED TO THE BURN UNIT , AND THATS VERY EXCITING.

:up:

From what I heard is that the tailboom dropped which i suppose is when the T/r seized, Being in the drivers seat I would assume that maybe the A/c must have moved on the rocks or something and would have picked up to reposition. Thus control was lost once the A/c became airborne again. This is a freak accident indeed. Loosing T/r control in this instance is very very rare. There wasn't anthing to hit. From speaking to the witness the A/C wasn't in a toe in position. It had actually landed in a meadow and landed amongst the bolders after control was lost.

Hey TT2 ,no i didnt recieve anything (attach) Well it sounds like you know what your talking about & i found more info about it too! But this dam sat system is screwing up , so i will reply tomorrow when its faster.

Bye the way i was being sarcastic (is that how you spell it?) when i said it needed a paint job:)

If the aircraft rolled on it's side under power, there was sudden stoppage of the complete drive system. Everything from the main rotor down, including the engine and out to the tail rotor should have been overhauled under sudden stoppage conditions.

If, as is being stated, is a fact, that the gear box was not overhauled, somebody licence should be cancelled.

This being stated by an ex P/E with 7000hrs on the 500 series helicopter.

It's like the famous engine failure synario:

Pilot one has a slight overtemp on start-up, doesn't report it. Pilot two, does the same thing.

Pilot three starts out on a job with the helicopter after having done a preflight, normal start up and about an hour into the flight the turbine blows apart from metal fatigue.

As far as I'm concerned, every helicopter should have HUMS as a mandatory equipment. The system would pay for itself.

Someday operators will realize that every Pilot and AME is only human.

TC or TSB are not the answer to everything, somethings you have to look after using the manual of GDF.

My only hope from all this, is that the pilot recovers and gets his life back together after relying on the system that failed him.

My thoughts only.

Don