Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Training Hours Split

Spartan99

Ok, so school has been picked out, and they are offering a standard 70hr R22 and 30hr Jetranger split...Now my question is how many hours are required in a certain AC to get endorsed?. Would it make sense to save the 4000.00$ and change 10 hours of Jetranger for 10 hours of R22? Making a 80 / 20 split? Just curious what you all think...Thanks in Advance...

To be honest even doing 20 hours in a 206 is a little much. The majority of schools with a 206 offer a 10 hour endorement at the end of the course if the student can afford it. Doing 20 hours in a 206 will be 20 hours learning a new machine, not polishing your skills in a helicopter you know inside and out. If you're gonna do the 206 that's great, but my advice is keep it at 10 hours.

As far as hours needed for an endorsment, I don't think there is any magic number. Once the instructor feels you can operate the machine well enough they will sign you off on it. Seems like most people can get it done in 5-10 hours for a basic endorsment on a certain A/C. Going from a R-22/300 to a 206 will take about 10 hours.

99...Ryan has learned fast in his short career! If a school says you need 30 hours or turbine, it's because profit margin is better on the 206. Do no more than 10 hours turbine...any company that hires you just wants a turbine endorsement...they will put more training into you anyway!

Good luck...where are you training?

I did the 85/15 split. I was quite happy with my 206 time as it gave me a little bit more of the training syllabus to explore. I completed my CPL(H) test with a little less than 80 hours and did some more R-22 time polishing some skills. After that I got used to the 206 and even tried some sling work (too much fun). On an employment related note, my first ground crew job I was able to grab 10 hours or so on one of the jetrangers thanks to a really great pilot who was looking out for us low-timers. Best of luck with your decision.

Is it not true that 50% of the companies out there use the Jetranger?...Im not sure of the R44?

That is true but there are more low timers that get a start on the R44 then BH06, just ask any lowtime pilot what he looks for in the directory of companies and I'll bet they focus on any company that flys pistons, because they have a better chance of getting a start with that company opposed to just a turbine fleet.

Ryan is correct, based on what the owner of Eclipse helicopters has to say: there is no legal margin you must pass in order to be indorsed on a trubine... if at all possible do a full 100 in your fav choice of heli and then move to a 206 ON TOP, possibaly in an opperational training or certified mountain course.

I know you will hear conflicting reports on that.

Cole B)