Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pay

&

All you medium engineers, your numbers are dwindling so take advantage of it.

Your daily rate is too low for the current economic conditions, what you should be charging for your highly skilled services is $1000 per day flat rate ( no flight pay ).

Think about it, we should be demanding what we are worth and not just accepting what the company's going to give us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Engineers should absolutely be negotiating based on flat rate or proper hourly rate for hours worked in the hangar. We should not be paid less through the off seasons just because the companies are not generating revenue. We are still using our same skills and more than likely taking on more responsibility with teaching apprentices, completing large repairs, replacing major components, completing large inspections. 
The flight pay system is not an accurate compensation method for engineers, pretty much everywhere else in the world doesn’t use this system and it’s time for Canada to catch up. Glad that there is others who feel the same. 

• Like 5

I’m a pilot so I have no experience with engineers pay scales, but I do have a lot of experience as a Heavy equipment fitter/manager in the mining industry in several countries - as a comparison of industries, I would consider a “flight pay” equivalent in the mining industry to be absolutely ludicrous! Using the “ flight pay” model - If the equipment doesn’t run due to weather/operators calling in sick or it’s down for maintenance then the maintenance staff get paid less - stuff that! Bonehead operator breaks it so I get paid less while I’m fixing it - stuff that! In effect, operators are only paying full price for your skills when they’re not using them (machine is flying).

I can understand the logic of the system as it provides a financial incentive for engineers to keep the machine flying, but this is actually a negative in a risk assessment. Maintenance decisions based on best practice & legal standards free from bias &/or financial coercion would deliver better results -“No.1 Safety, No.2 Quality, No.3 Efficiency” - in that order.

Wearing my maintenance hat, I agree with the previous posters that your time has a value regardless of the hours the machine does. A good engineer is worth their money, a well paid engineer is a happy engineer & a happy engineer is a pilots best friend! Good luck.

• Like 14

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2022 at 2:10 PM, & said:

All you medium engineers, your numbers are dwindling so take advantage of it.

Your daily rate is too low for the current economic conditions, what you should be charging for your highly skilled services is $1000 per day flat rate ( no flight pay ).

Think about it, we should be demanding what we are worth and not just accepting what the company's going to give us.

1000/day without flight pay is absolutely reasonable and I’d expect flight pay and per-diems  on top of that too boot!    It has been paid before in Canada and could be again.  I haven’t worked on mediums in Canada since 2012 when things started to really take a turn for the worse.  In fact, in most cases I actually refuse to.  The remuneration I was seeing a few years back is almost laughable for that amount of BS and liability.  Not to mention the awesome work schedules and cross shifts being offered 🙄…. I’ll stick to states side and paid HOURLY where my skills are highly appreciated thanks…

PS What are going rates for 205/212/412 AME’s in 2022?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/13/2022 at 11:17 AM, heliAME said:

Engineers should absolutely be negotiating based on flat rate or proper hourly rate for hours worked in the hangar. We should not be paid less through the off seasons just because the companies are not generating revenue. We are still using our same skills and more than likely taking on more responsibility with teaching apprentices, completing large repairs, replacing major components, completing large inspections. 
The flight pay system is not an accurate compensation method for engineers, pretty much everywhere else in the world doesn’t use this system and it’s time for Canada to catch up. Glad that there is others who feel the same. 

Flight pay was a way of compensating guys for wrenching more (the more you fly the more you get paid). That’s the theory anyways.  It’s a system that can be easily abused by the lazy and incompetent extending and stretching stuff till the next guy gets in and he’s thereby slapped with the maintenance bill with no flight pay.  I say hourly (that’s what I charge). It’s the only fair way.  And yes flight pay isn’t anywhere else except Canada 

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2022 at 12:14 PM, CM119 said:

Dragging this post back up.  It’s been a wet slow year so far, any ame’s on for the season being paid what they expect and more?

This season was good.  I pulled a few shifts with a few operators and didn’t charge a dime for flight pay.  Just hourly, easy to rack up 1500-2000 in a day if you’re working long hours 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, FiveCut said:

Flight pay was a way of compensating guys for wrenching more (the more you fly the more you get paid). That’s the theory anyways.  It’s a system that can be easily abused by the lazy and incompetent extending and stretching stuff till the next guy gets in and he’s thereby slapped with the maintenance bill with no flight pay.  I say hourly (that’s what I charge). It’s the only fair way.  And yes flight pay isn’t anywhere else except Canada 

Well said, and yes that’s what I do and have been doing for many years.  

• Like 1