Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ifr

Ryan

Recently been pondering the possibilty of doing IFR training some time in the next year or two. Is there enough of a demand in the world to justify going that route early in one's career?

I'm also unsure if the solo x-country aquired during initial training would count towards the 50 PIC x-country required before qualifying for IFR training. Tried finding it in CARS and the AIP with no luck.

Anyone know?

Thanks gang!

Please don't consider an IFR rating "just another quick endorsement". It is truly a completely different way of flying. Personally, I don't think you should add it on unless you are seriously chasing an IFR job (I think Canadian EMS will hire 500 hr co-pilots with IFR, but I may be wrong.)

It would be a colossal waste of money at this stage in your career unless you were actually working in that environment right after completing your IFR rating. The last thing anyone needs is a rusty IFR pilot trying to fight the leans when he doesn't have alot of reasonable VFR (let alone IFR) time to back it up. Keep in mind also that you need to maintain that rating to keep it. Cramming every 2 years for a check ride with Transport does not make you an IFR pilot...

Also, keep in mind that IFR helicopters are multi-engine medium ships. Although easier to fly than a light (hands and feet wise) they require complex systems knowledge and experience to be flown effectively and safely VFR let alone IFR.

At your level of experience (+ approx. 500 hrs), you may get into the left seat of an IFR machine. Whether you will actually gain enough experience and mentoring to develop as a pilot is completely up to the other guy you're flying with. If he wants you to shut up and beep (I've flown with a couple of this type) you won't be developing very well at all. If you are extremely lucky, you will get to fly with a Captain that will take a personal interest in your development and help you along as you grow from a potential risk that shouldn't touch the controls with a customer on board to an Aircraft Captain (fortunately, I have flown with a great many of these Captains).

In short, IMHO you should get some real word VFR time, scare the living s**t out yourself a few times and get comfortable with flying on your own before you spend the money on an IFR rating.

Regardless, best of luck in your career.

Congrats on the Ramp Rat job!

ryan,

as an ex-helijet captain(hopefully one of the nice ones batfink mentioned ;)

my suggestion if you want to work for helijet is this: REPOS, REPOS REPOS!!!

when i was there and a rampie asked i would always (wx depending) allow them to do the repo. also, when i was there, there was a "deadhead" to victoria from yvr that many times i had a rampie fly, and that was worth .5 in the book!! and yes, for what it was worth, i would make a seperate entry and put the rampies name in the logbook.

the hard part with helijet is that they are limited by CARS 421.40(3F) where pilots need 166hrs PIC so they can't just pull them straight off the ramp if they really need someone. there are still a few captains there who have come up from the ramp.

i seem to remember them being nice guys, especially if you buy the beer :D

PSA, DSN to start................

good luck and tell the "old" boys i said hello ( WBE, PBY, RCL ect :up: )

412driver

aka Rob Dyck

Yes the cross country time from your CPL training counts as cross country time, it counts for your ATPL, and everything else you do. Fixed wing cross country time also counts. As does fixed wing instrument instruction time. You only need 5 hours in helicopters (not including the ride, which should be 2 hours at the most, (depending where the closest ILS is) the rest can be done in airplanes, which will save you some dough.

Hi Ryan,

Read Batfinks post, then read Batfinks post again, and when your finished reading Batfinks post....read it one more time.

He hit the nail squarely on the head.

Congrats on the job by the way. :)

Ryan, I concur with RDM. Start re-reading.

Forget the Instrument Rating until you are actually going to need it. It will be of absolutely no use to you as a VFR pilot and VFR Chief Pilot's will look at you with suspicion if they know you had one.

I have been driving IFR helicopters around since '77 with a few really enjoyable breaks fighting fires (probably the best fun you can have with your clothes on). An Instrument Rating, if you get one, is just a license to learn, which you will do on the job, of course.

Thanks again everyone. As I said, just in the curious stage about it for now.

Rob, saw WBE and PBY quite a few times yesterday...both working on the same machine all day. Two great guys right there. Easy to talk to and a pleasure to watch fly. Will say hi for ya. ;)