Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight Suits?

Guest JeffyG

Guest JeffyG

just curious to see, been thinking of getting one but i think it would be tough to order one over flightsuits.com, definitely would be nice to try them on but i know that would be impossible. anyways was wondering how many of you guys wear them when you fly

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just curious to see, been thinking of getting one but i think it would be tough to order one over flightsuits.com, definitely would be nice to try them on but i know that would be impossible.  anyways was wondering how many of you guys wear them when you fly

Hey, they are JUST cover-alls for pete's sake....go to workwear world and try on any that fit. purpose of all those zippers is still a mystery to me even after 20 yrs in the biz.....

no offence buddy, wasn't trying to attack you.

When I was in the CF's, we had to wear "crewsuits" (same thing as a flight suit, but for use in armoured vehicles, and no fire retardency). I hated wearing them, but there was clear logic in doing so. If you're in a tank and hurt, the bestest fastest way to pull you out is by the handles on the suit (you know, the ones between the shoulderblades rookies usually end up "hanging around" in the mess from ? :lol:

Anyways, I don't see the equivalent purpose as far as airmen go ('cept maybe fighter jocks and maybe helicopter gunships (Cobra/apache)). I'd much prefer to wear Nomex pants and shirts than coveralls. With a flightsuit, if you get them adjusted just right in the shoulder to crotch length, bending over raises the frequency of your voice about an octave. If you get 'em a little longer, you always look like you #### yerself and the doodoo is in the bottom of your flightsuit.

I wear my coveralls when working around the machine so's not to get my clothes dirty, but they're huge 'n' baggy, so my baggy stays happy :up:

If you get them tailored by someone who knows what they are doing , then not one of the things Skidz was talking about will happen. Proper tailoring is done by someone who wants it to be comfortable and for you to look comfortable......and if you don't, then THAT'S their fault.

Buy Nomex or don't buy Nomex......but do so with the knowledge of why one is different than the other and then make your own intelligent, informed decision. Nomex will give you protection for approximately 6 secs if you are right next to open flame. The farther away that you are, then the longer that protection extends. You can get them light Nomex for summer or heavier Nomex for winter.

I have six pairs myself that were issued to me eons ago in the military when I was young and svelt. I'm now old, wrinkled and somewhat round and not one of those **** flight suits fits anymore. So watch the fine-tailoring if you got a problem pushing away from the table after a meal. :lol:

Or you could come join the collective and wear.........blue pants , white shirt with bars and black shoes. the pants are made out of Polyester,wool and lycra. the shirts are poly and cotton and the bars are just plain stupid.

I long for the days when I could work in a comfortable flight suit. Also known as coveralls with lots of mysterious zippers.

Have you ever seen a green garbage bag burn? I'm pretty sure thats how these pants would go in a fire.

But thats What our Queen wants and what she wants she gets.

You have to wear this stuff in 40 degree weather to truly appreciate why a career in offshore is so exilerating.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a nomex two piece suit custom made several years ago and it is the greated thing since sliced bread. You can get just about any combination of pockets, zippers, etc. within reason. Cool in the summer, as you can take the jacket off on the ground between flight and easy enough to add a sweater or longjohns in cooler weather. :up: