Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

False promises you got as a carrot.

16 hours ago, Bee3 said:

Slightly off topic?!

Anyone care to share their thoughts on training bonds at this time in the market?

I understand a company needs to protect themselves but what do you think is reasonable?

Be very careful what you sign and have someone review the contract before signing.

This really depends on your situation and the opportunity presented.  I would try to negotiate something different, instead of a "insert amount/time" bond. You pay me "insert amount" for staying x amount of time. If someones wants to poach me they can pay my "insert amount"  i would lose out on to jump ship.  Personally I wouldn't sign a bond in this market, owners need to get more creative in retaining staff. 

I can hear the gasp, a non punitive bond....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/18/2023 at 7:43 AM, Norm said:

In regards to training bonds I always thought they should be assessed on a case by case bases. Some years back I had been working for a company flying as350/206/407/212 (I brought my own endorsements to the table). After year three of employment they asked me to fly their 205's I agreed, gave me an hour or so training and presented me with a 2 yr training bond to sign when I landed (to be paid back at full revenue rates if I quit). I told the CP I wasn't signing anything and had already proven myself to be a good reliable employee. They insisted and I responded, "I guess I'm not flying 205".

I stayed with the company and continued to fly mostly 212s, it proved quite a foolish decision on their behalf one summer when they were paying me to babysit a 212 with no work and the phone started ringing for the 205 at my base with no company 205 drivers within 5000 kms.

They lost out on a lot of money that week,  all over their no tolerance training bond policy.

Also it turns out that any bond signed after the fact, aren't worth the paper they're written on. For a bond to be valid, it has to be signed prior to the training received, and it has to be structured in what the actual costs are. the precedence in Canadian law is fairly extensive. Also if they gave you a 205 endorsement, and the company who poached you (example only) were flying 212's for instance, they likely would lose out on the bond in court, because the 205 bond had no further immediate value to you. On the other hand, if you DIDN'T sign a bond and left shortly after your training, for a more lucrative job for you, on the same type and they sued you, they'd likely get at least half of the cost back... All with precedence in Canadian law.

My current company doesn't do bonds, and the training is fairly extensive, including a very expensive type course, NVG training, line training etc. I'm sure the costs for training is well over 100k. You'd probably not be on their xmas card list if you left soon after all that training, but there is no bond...

• Like 4

On 2/18/2023 at 3:07 AM, Bee3 said:

Slightly off topic?!

Anyone care to share their thoughts on training bonds at this time in the market?

I understand a company needs to protect themselves but what do you think is reasonable?

If you really want the training be prepared to have that bond leveraged on you for the duration of it.  I have rarely seen anyone sign a bond that wasn’t worked to death.  My advice; have an employer review it with you and explain to you what the implications are.  24 months of **** is a very real possibility.  

On 2/21/2023 at 10:57 AM, freck said:

Never sign a training bond. You will find that agreed upon schedule is out the window not to mention the management isn't actually as nice as they once were before that signature.

Correct, the only way out of one is a medical report from a doctor stating you’re burnt out.  

On 2/19/2023 at 6:20 PM, Winnie said:

Also it turns out that any bond signed after the fact, aren't worth the paper they're written on. For a bond to be valid, it has to be signed prior to the training received, and it has to be structured in what the actual costs are. the precedence in Canadian law is fairly extensive. Also if they gave you a 205 endorsement, and the company who poached you (example only) were flying 212's for instance, they likely would lose out on the bond in court, because the 205 bond had no further immediate value to you. On the other hand, if you DIDN'T sign a bond and left shortly after your training, for a more lucrative job for you, on the same type and they sued you, they'd likely get at least half of the cost back... All with precedence in Canadian law.

My current company doesn't do bonds, and the training is fairly extensive, including a very expensive type course, NVG training, line training etc. I'm sure the costs for training is well over 100k. You'd probably not be on their xmas card list if you left soon after all that training, but there is no bond...

You can be sued for anything in Canada if there’s enough clout in their AOD.  Bonds are 100% enforceable in Canada.  I would never sign one

• Like 1