Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

I scared the cr#p out of myself when

To all you low timers.

IF you ever have to fly a boat. Hook on to the stern ..... you have 2 points to hook on to and the boat will fly better.

This is my experience.... if others have different ideas please post them.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Pool pilot said:

To all you low timers.

IF you ever have to fly a boat. Hook on to the stern ..... you have 2 points to hook on to and the boat will fly better.

Done canoes, and aluminum boats… not worth the stress of one of the handles breaking off, or the ****** flight and go around to re rig if it doesn’t fly right in the first place.   Just put it in a net.  Strap 2 together, and put the boat in that if you need to. Put the motor in the boat.  Preferably over a rock so the rock is at the bottom of the net when you lift off. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pool pilot said:

To all you low timers.

Exactly...slung a boat 188 miles like that...hooked a net onto the front!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I thought this was about sharing lessons with others. If I knew Its about bragging  how good you are I would not have bothered smfdh.

Sorry bud.  Was just giving my solution from an experience much like yours.  Didn’t think the boat getting better lift than me bore repeating.  

One more I will share, if it saves a life great. May you have fun with it.

Beautiful sunny April day in Squamish. Tasked with taking a couple environmental contractors (a man and a women) to sample water in some creeks at Phantom Lake about 16nm as the crow flies west of Squamish over a couple mountain ranges.

Lift about 9am and sit at Phantom Lake waiting for them while they do their thing. Around noon it started clouding over.

I trudged through the deep snow in my *light hiking shoes and told them to pack it up as there is weather moving in. 30 minutes later they show up and the snow is really starting to come down.

After everyone was seated and comfy I lifted and almost immediately found myself not able to tell how high I was above the ground. With help from the front passenger I moved over to the tree line along the shore. 

By now its foggy and the snow is really coming down, I radio a hydro guy in the valley below and he says there is no cloud just snowing “its pretty clear down here”.

At the south end of the lake there is a 1200 foot drop off to the valley below so I hover taxi over there and start making my way down tree top by tree top. By now I am shitting bricks.

My windshield is useless as its covered in snow and slush so I have to descend parallel to the trees and use my side window for guidance.  What follows is one of the most harrowing experiences of my life. 

Halfway down I cannot see the tree tops below me anymore (I think it was rock cliff) and looking up I can barely see the trees above.

Someone was watching over me that day as I was able to inch my way back up to the mouth of the lake. Vis was almost zero by now and it was almost impossible to land. 

Out of my little open window I saw something that contrasted with the snow. I flew that way and the sweetest little spruce tree was there to Marshall me in.

Ended up having to spend the night up there. It was terrible but thats a story for another time. But a Sunny morning broke and our company  Astar was there first light with Tim Hortens to pick us up.

C6572CE9-7C96-4EA5-A677-BD68CE54BE8B.jpeg

A1277ED6-3B5E-4EBE-8CAD-F46CBF4F403E.jpeg

• Like 9

21 hours ago, robottxt said:

The moral of story was never leave a longline connected when parked. 

Understandable man but not always the case. If there was one way to do it, we’d all do it the same.

When bird towing for example, I’ve gone weeks without disconnecting the device. It’s a lesson and you’re supposed to be able to adapt to your own situation based on the lessons placed here. No need for the above message dude. We’re all professionals here. (I hope so anyway)

On 6/24/2022 at 6:21 PM, 412driver said:

Wait a sec....is that a F@#$&n sloth hanging on to your line???? Cool... Got a pic of you holding it after? Legend!! 

well as a matter of fact, I got him back to the ground safely, and they carried him on the log back to his tree!  happy ending for the world fastest sloth and the the slowest seismic pilot !

F335C20D-F9E1-4FC1-8D88-D8E85171E9E2.jpeg

087C24E9-3FFE-4F75-A9B9-95F7560ADA0E.jpeg

• Like 14

On 6/26/2022 at 7:19 AM, R0T0R said:

Understandable man but not always the case. If there was one way to do it, we’d all do it the same.

When bird towing for example, I’ve gone weeks without disconnecting the device. It’s a lesson and you’re supposed to be able to adapt to your own situation based on the lessons placed here. No need for the above message dude. We’re all professionals here. (I hope so anyway)

A frenchmen told me the same thing on seismic.  Then one day the bag runners was bouncing through staging. Never carried passengers, only moving bags.  Except that day the engineer wanted to go for a quick test flight.   So ya, never leave a long line attached when parked.  Why would bird towing be any different? Make your case like you just crashed, after forgetting the bird was attached?