Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

500 Performance Loss With Pma Blades

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the track on your blades. I have spent hours fine tuning the track and made the 500 very smooth only to have the pilot report that he was unable to lift load that he could lift the previous day. We played around with the strobing and we put two blades slightly out of track (within vertical and lateral IPS limits) and the machines performance was back to normal. Since them I don't get to crazy putting the blades perfectly in track and instead rely on IPS readings to make adjustments (aircraft is checked for rigging before strobing).

The original blades that came out on the 500D gave the machine super performance. It was capable of lifting 2000 lbs. on a very short lanyard. I've never seen it just heard about it. Prior to the PMA blades you would be lucky to get 1375lbs. when on vapors (80lbs). Today PMA era blades tour lucky to be able to compete with a Jet Box or R-44. Apparently the problem has to do with the blades being too stiff and aren't able to flex at the tips.

Guest Angry Egg Driver
The original blades that came out on the 500D gave the machine super performance. It was capable of lifting 2000 lbs. on a very short lanyard. I've never seen it just heard about it.

I think someone was pulling your leg...Average empty weight of a 500D is 1500-1600 LBS if they are set up for external load use.Gross weight on the hook is 3550.You do the math...... <_<

I think someone was pulling your leg...Average empty weight of a 500D is 1500-1600 LBS if they are set up for external load use.Gross weight on the hook is 3550.You do the math...... <_<

I can tell that you haven't flying all that long! You don't really know what was tried in the past there young pup! The numbers are there in the book I know. Haven't you surprised yourself at one time or another when all of a sudden you did something with the helicopter that wasn't in the book. :P

Ya your pobably right that this guy was pulling my leg. He told me this when I had only a few 1000 hrs. Now that I have been here a while and have heard about a few of the stunts that this guy had with "guardian" I think he was. You need a B2 to pull 2000 lbs. I had a load this summer and it weighed in at 1875 and it was a **** of a grunt at 2800' and 20C. However given the right conditions such as a good wind you can pull more than what the book says. You have to be on the safe side and say what will happen at the other end when maybe the wind isn't there anymore? :shock:

Imagine the look of consternation on the customer's face when you tell him a D model won't lift his 1,700 lb doghouse after your marketing types said it could lift 2,000 lbs 'cause the decal next to the hook said "Load Capacity 2,000 Lbs". Fortunately we had an Allouette III in the neighborhood - they may look funny but they could take a load.

I will presonally vouch for the 500 blade deficiency, having had thrown a blade back in the 90's. Absolute junk and the C20 was never designed to be installed at 45 degrees. I like a few others REFUSE to fly the 500. Sure it's fast and great for a tight spots but is it really worth it in my opinion. :down:

My 5 cents.