Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

500 Performance Loss With Pma Blades

If you need to get additional lift from a 500, then just buy up a bunch of high time old blades and remove the abrasion strips to get some real performance!

I concur with the 500 haters here - it is the most worthless piece of crap that ever took to the air. I HATE them. :down: :down: :down:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the image.

On a normal approach, chabougamoo( sp) QC 2 pax in the back ( with extra head room) - all of a sudden out of the blue on short final while pulling pitch 60 feet up all **** breaks loose a -BANG and swoosh- 1 blade leaves, controlability reduced to cyclic vibration 100time magnitude of bell 47, AC yaws, continue decent(rapid) -very hard landing transmission comes into the rear cabin on impact crushing and killing 2 pax in the back- skid gear folded up like rubber.

JUNK JUNK JUNK, any way you slice it.

Disposable helicopter for one time use only( like a bic razor)- and that fabulous blade inertia....... Sure are fast and cool looking though...

:shock:

:( Unfortunately for Todd Carter, that very scenario did happen out here on the west coast a few years back. The aircraft tossed a blade while in flight.....the outcome was not good. PMA has had problems with the spar(cracks), along with debonding on the surface(s). Actually having said that I am quite fond of 500's, they are a good utility aircraft that has a niche for speed, size and agility. Prior to PMA blades, the original Hughes blades were quite reliable....."provided" that inspections and s.b.'s were complied with.........Us mere mortals down here miss you Todd.

Gee! I don't know why some trash the 500D so much. It certainly does things that most machines can't do. Being a stable platform for longlining and getting into really tight spots. I've flown quite a bit of different brands and they all have their pros and cons. To my knoledge there isn't 1 helicopter out there that does all what our customers expect. Don't forget that the Bell 206 and Hughes 500 and the Fh 1100 were competing for the US military observation helicopter contract back in the early 60s. If I recall the vintage Bell 206 (Chevy II) had its blade throwing problems too. Let me tell you if you had that happen to you in the Bell your ips would be off the scale and you wouldn't be here either. Your lucky that you only lost 20 percent and not 50 percent of your rotor system. Even the Astars which today is pretty good had its tweks.

that's true especially if you are in the back.

i have quite a bit of time in the 500 but i'd rather not fly them any more b/c MD doesn't have any cash for product support let alone development of new and improved components. those blades just don't seem to be up to the challenge of up to 200 (sometimes more) torque events a day when doing seismic or shake block flying.

give me a plastic fantastic anyday.

that's true especially if you are in the back.

i have quite a bit of time in the 500 but i'd rather not fly them any more b/c MD doesn't have any cash for product support let alone development of new and improved components.  those blades just don't seem to be up to the challenge of up to 200 (sometimes more) torque events a day when doing seismic or shake block flying.

give me a plastic fantastic anyday.

MD has money now

http://www.mdhelicopters.com/news/Current%...CAPITALIZES.htm