Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Rec Or Ppl Training In Calgary?

dewey320

Newbie Alert **** Newbie Alert ****

OK, don't say you haven't been warned...

I'm looking for any words of advice on choosing a school in Calgary. Your comments and opinions... good, bad, or otherwise would be most appreciated.

I do not intend to ever fly commercially, strictly for fun. Have not yet decided on Rec or PPL and more than likely won't until I get some time in.

I have no previous formal training but have spent many hours flying in the bush (used to spend summers in NWT hunting camps as a kid, cubs, islanders, beavers, porters, etc.). Also some stick time in gliders and about 12 years on hang gliders and paragliders flying xc and competing.

I live in the city so I guess the international airport would be the most convenient location but I'm willing to consider Springbank and other surrounding area locations as well.

I'm also interested in the possibilities of doing as much ground school training or extra learning online as my work has me on the road a fair bit. I guess DVD's might be an option too. Any advice to offer here?

Best Regards,

dewey320

Dewey,

Calgary is a wonderful place to learn to fly. Springbank airport has multiple schools that can meet your needs. YYC can be a hassel dealing with the large number of commercial traffic in and out, but hey, your paying for the idle time. I do believe, it will be not much longer and most genral aviation will be here at Springbank, thats why they are going through extensive renos and runway extensions here.

As for the PPL vs the Rec Permit, Spend the extra money, get the extra training and have License privileges vs Permit privileges. The extra training time under an experienced Instructor may save your life some day!

...As for the PPL vs the Rec Permit, Spend the extra money, get the extra training and have License privileges vs Permit privileges. The extra training time under an experienced Instructor may save your life some day!

I agree. The Rec seems like most of the effort of the PPL but without the privileges. Get the PPL.

Newbie Alert  ****  Newbie Alert ****

OK, don't say you haven't been warned...

I'm looking for any words of advice on choosing a school in Calgary. Your comments and opinions... good, bad, or otherwise would be most appreciated.

I do not intend to ever fly commercially, strictly for fun. Have not yet decided on Rec or PPL and more than likely won't until I get some time in. 

I have no previous formal training but have spent many hours flying in the bush (used to spend summers in NWT hunting camps as a kid, cubs, islanders, beavers, porters, etc.).  Also some stick time in gliders and about 12 years on hang gliders and paragliders flying xc and competing.

I live in the city so I guess the international airport would be the most convenient location but I'm willing to consider Springbank and other surrounding area locations as well.

Go to Springbank and get your PPL. Forget about the lite version as you will no doubt end up doing the full licence anyway. The recreational training is a way of getting more pilots into the system with the intent of them going on for addtional training. Flying around mountains, low level is fun but takes experience. So go to a proper school and get the most training you can.

I'm also interested in the possibilities of doing as much ground school training or extra learning online as my work has me on the road a fair bit.  I guess DVD's might be an option too.  Any advice to offer here?

Best Regards,

dewey320

Try Springbank Flight Training College (not a "college" college, but a school); they have a variety of aircraft, a great CFI, etc... I've sent a couple of my students who've moved out to Calgary there & they've enjoyed it.

You don't need to decide on the Rec/PPL option once you're a good 2/3 of your way thru the training. Ground school, while not required by the Rec, is invaluable and makes life a heck of a lot easier, so I recommend it. The Rec is a great option these days... one rec pilot at the school I used to instruct at goes on fairly big cross countries (Ottawa-Quebec City, or Ottawa-Windsor) almost every weekend!

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Just my opinion but anything less than a commercial with very regular trips is just a license to kill yourself. I have more than a few hours and wouldn't consider flying recreationally with myself or loved ones aboard.

If you want to be recreational fly a fixed wing vfr on CAVOK days.

There are at least two schools operating out of Springbank last time I was through.

Good luck in your endeavours.

ttf

• 1 month later...

I'm by no means an expert on flight schools, but I can vouch for the Calgary Flying Club out at Springbank. The CFI is onvolved in the progress of each and every student (no easy task in a good sized school), the instructors and other staff are all very good about realizing that different people have different goals, and they have plenty of aircraft.