Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Progressive Lenses

Zazu

Anybody  here spend a lot of time on end of a line, or swampy confined areas with grass/willows up to your butt, that use progressive lenses for corrective eyewear? 

Just trying to figure out transitioning my eyes near to far and back again, and possible peripheral vision impairments?  

Note:  Vision is + 20/20 uncorrected out the window. 

TIA

I had a pair of glasses made for long lining.

I have my mid vision in a 10mm area at the top of the lens. And all of the bottom is my far vision. Some people call this a mechanic's glasses as they are looking under the dashboard. 

As for the peripheral vision is a mess unless you turn your head.

My doctor told me to look with my nose when I moved to progressive lens.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pool pilot said:

As for the peripheral vision is a mess unless you turn your head.

My doctor told me to look with my nose when I moved to progressive lens.

I got this advice too.  But it runs counter to the advice given to pilots to scan with your eyes alone and limit the movement of your head to reduce fatigue and possible vertigo.

• Like 2

RE:  I had issues with vertigo.  I'm not a pilot but just in regular life if I was looking up and down repetitively I had vertigo issues.

Vertigo triggered by head movements can often be caused by BPPV and becomes more common with age. Here's some more info..

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/benign-paroxysmal-positional-vertigo-bppv

I have been wearing progressives for years. Mine cost about a $1000.00 a pair. I had my eyes measured with some computer contraption at the eye place. Glasses are awesome. Wherever I look (not point my head) is perfectly clear. The only exception is the back end of the CB panel on the mediums but just need to lean back a bit. Yes, they are terribly expensive but to me, worth every penny. Oh, and tax deductible because they are mandatory for work. :) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 412driver said:

I have been wearing progressives for years. Mine cost about a $1000.00 a pair. I had my eyes measured with some computer contraption at the eye place. Glasses are awesome. Wherever I look (not point my head) is perfectly clear. The only exception is the back end of the CB panel on the mediums but just need to lean back a bit. Yes, they are terribly expensive but to me, worth every penny. Oh, and tax deductible because they are mandatory for work. :) 

That is about what I paid as well. I got the computer measurements and still have to look with my nose. 

I use my long line glasses so I can see the over head panel and my far vision is great looking out and down.

I have been wearing progressive daily contacts for 16 years, and have spent hundreds of hours wearing them doing VRLL.

When you first try them, be patient for the first week. I wore them everyday on my two weeks off before transitioning to flying with them. The reason for this was explained to me by my optometrist.  She said your brain needs some time initially to figure out transitioning from distance to close up and back again. She was correct, when first going from reading to looking up at something a fair distance away made me feel somewhat dizzy until the focus came in. That went away after approximately a week. To this day I don’t notice any delay transitioning from near to far.

The daily’s are great, no cleaning, no storage etc, put them in at the start of your day throw them away at night.

The daily’s also allow for the thinnest most comfortable lenses with a good amount of water content allowing for the most amount of oxygen to reach the eye. 

If you have  an astigmatism you may not be able to wear daily’s, and would have to go with lenses made specifically for you. 

Good luck.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2022 at 2:35 AM, Zazu said:

Anybody  here spend a lot of time on end of a line, or swampy confined areas with grass/willows up to your butt, that use progressive lenses for corrective eyewear? 

Just trying to figure out transitioning my eyes near to far and back again, and possible peripheral vision impairments?  

Note:  Vision is + 20/20 uncorrected out duck life the window. 

TIA

I would recommend visiting an optometrist for a proper eye exam to determine whether progressive lenses are the best choice for your needs, and to help you get the best possible fit and prescription for your eyes. They can also recommend training exercises to help you get used to the progressive lenses and minimize any issues with peripheral vision.