Contrail Requirements Keep Canadians On E.i

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to thank everyone for their input..... it seems that we have drifted off our track.

Back to topic...

Do operators disregard Contrail's requirements? re. Are there some 500 hour pilots out there flying oil and gas where there is a 1500 hour requirement? Have "special arrangements" been made. Is there a blatent disregard for the rules? What would be the outcome if caught?

If there is no pilot shortage, like some have so boldly stated..... why then are there so many funny accents on 126.7 ?

Is it because foreigners (like in so many other industries) are willing to work in places we as Canadians feel are uncomfortable / undesirable ?

Why do we....... as an industry and a Country....... allow "consultants" to dictate the future of OUR industry.... Our Country?

OH CANADA.....

V

Well as a Canadian, I can say that I do not mind working under any circumstance providing those circumstances jibe with the standard of living. Often it's far cheaper for an operator to hire a foriegner on a working holiday permit, layoff and no requirement to keep on over the slower winter months.

As for consultants, it should be noted that in Canada at the provincial, federal and municipal level could be considered a Consultant junkie. Having some experience dealing on a few federal contracts under the terms and guidleines of a given program, 30-40% of any project budget is devoted to consultants who often more than not simply iterate the obvious.

The Helicopter industry is a perfect target for consultancy. In some ciurcumstances consultants can be usefull provided the consultant has some practical experience and not just academic credentails.

We'll just have to see how this one pans out.

2 cents

<_< Wow bladethrow....we all better run here, as the "consultants" are poised to take over the helicopter industry.....wait a minute, this just in.........the "lawyers" are cueing up right behind the consultants. World domination to be targeted next???

Same minimums apply in Australia and New Zealand. Why the funny accents?

Massive burgeoning middle class in both these COMMONWEALTH countries. As many, if not more, pilots trained there and only a third of the machines and jobs available. There are opportunities elsewhere in the pacific like PNG, but you need plenty of time before you are employable there. It is interesting to note that there a lots of Canadians in PNG as well as Yanks. In NZ and Australia the lowtimers battle with Jap, German, Swiss and the odd Spanish pilot for the starter jobs in tourism and ag.

They come to Canada because it is a great country to fly in and part of the commonwealth of nations. Our heritage is similar to theirs and most of the boats that arrived on the west coast left from the same english ports as vessels going to NZ and AU.

It is interesting to note the number of kiwis in particular who inhabit the nether regions of our country. To my observation they work hard, fly well and are never too fussed about a month in a tent. I wish some of the Canadian guys I employed over the years were the same. This year in particular we have had real trouble finding a 1000hr pilot. I appreciated the antipodeans I got to work with us...

Why is the focus always on the southern hemisphere guys? What about all the english, german, jap and spanish pilots out there??

I know in a couple of cases where I work, when a pilot is at 1300-1400hrs the boss will arange with either Contrail, or the company to get the pilot on the job for a 1500hr contract.

"Is it because foreigners (like in so many other industries) are willing to work in places we as Canadians feel are uncomfortable / undesirable ?"

I don't think that is so much the case as they are sponsored to work by the helicopter company; Therefore, taking away any leverage at the barganing table when it is time to ask for a raise. they are forced to just work without any say weather they are happy or not. At the company I work for ther are 8 sponsored pilots, out of 20 pilots employed. You do the math.

Bell Boy

:down: Well Bell Boy, the news that there are 8 pilots ( foriegn) working as sponsored employees make me want to puke, when you consider that there are more than enough pilots (Canadian) avialable. This really sums it up! Just goes to show you that there is serious abuse of the work permit scheme. Nothing like hiring seasonal migrant worker and take jobs from perfectly capable qualified Canadians. Let me guess AES? Highland?

PM me the Name Please!

I have a lot of friends working in this industry that are from foreign lands and they are all quality people. Competition is the name of the game in this business, I think some people need to grow up and quit whinning. You work hard you go places, you sit back and ***** about how bad you got it you go no where. Deal with it.

Well Amadoa

Yes I agree, It is competative in the global Market Place, however as strange as it may sound. "CANADA" is a soveriegn state with borders, citizenship and maintains a responsibility to its citizens first.

I have no doubt that there are quality people all around the word, but if quality means hiring a foriegner for lower wages or astranged working conditions in place of Canadian worker then it is clear that compaines are abusing the parameters of the working holiday permits that are being issued.

I am no stranger to what can only be termed as "shady" hiring practices within the industry. Was that " part time" "full time" " seasonal" "contract" ( with no written contract but payed as an employee) OK enough is enough!

The bottom line is these "quality" people are being hired, so that companies can avoid the labour laws and the rights a regular Canadian employee would have after a 3 month employment term. It has nothing to do with there being a shortage of Canadian high time or low time pilots.

I'ts got nothing to do with whinning- I am "NOT" looking for job after already spending a decade plus dealing with this kind of drawbridge mentality.

How are things at Highland?, Give my regards to "Knock Out" the tough guy AKA KO.

Now there's a real winner " quality person" for ya!

OMG